Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Electronic Hearing Protection???????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 03:17 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Electronic Hearing Protection???????

I have a set of howard leight's that I've used for about 2yrs now. I love them at the range, but I won't bother to hunt with them on again.

At the range, it's great to have have the music and you can still hear range commands or have a conversation with someone without having to remove them. I can hear perfectly even when wearing plugs under the muffs. You can even eavesdrop on strangers down the line, not that I would ever do such a thing, of course.

As far as in the field, I had alot of problems with them. I won't sit in a blind, and walking with them on results in rather obnoxiously loud noises with every step. It does make game easier to hear, but I had a lot of trouble determining where the sounds were coming from. Direction is not terrible but distance is tricky. Not a problem if you're hunting antelope in short grass, but it drives me crazy in the woods. To be fair, there is a complicated and highly scientific solution to those problems. Reach up and either take or turn them off.

Seriously though, they are totally worth picking up a set. I just don't see any reason to carry them over a pair of regular old earplugs when hunting.