Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Eberlestock Packs- Which one ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Gold Member

Eberlestock Packs- Which one ??

I'll have a chance to check out the full range of packs in a couple of weeks and wanted to know if any of you use the "Gunslinger, M3 operator or X1-AS ". The gunslinger looks about the right size but I want some first hand experiences. As my rifle is 54 " long I will take my system with me and try it out ?

Cheers

DUH
Old 05-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under Hunter View Post
I'll have a chance to check out the full range of packs in a couple of weeks and wanted to know if any of you use the "Gunslinger, M3 operator or X1-AS ". The gunslinger looks about the right size but I want some first hand experiences. As my rifle is 54 " long I will take my system with me and try it out ?

Cheers

DUH
I've never used any of the models you mentioned but I have had the Just One Pack from Eberlestock for several years now and love it. I can put a 30" barreled Remington long action in the gun pocket and a full size spotting scope, tripod, sleeping bag, shooting gear, camelback and everything else in it nicely. And if you want to just go on a day trip, the big pockets zip up together over the meat sack and you have a regular sized school backpack.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Silver Member

Another vote for the "just one". I've used one for about 3 seasons now and really like it. As GG said it is very verstile in that it expands from about 3000 square inches to 4500 by unzipping the back zipper - and you can zip on a bag to make it 7000. And it carries heavy loads very well. Best pack out there in my opinion. And BTW, get the rain cover that fits the pack. My old man made fun of me about that until we got caught in a downpour on an Elk hunt. His stuff was all saoked while my pack, contents, and rifle, were all bone dry. He wants to order one now too.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Gold Member

Cheers GG and Coues !

The Just one looked good as well. I was told that the mil spec versions were put together a little better ? Maybe thats why they are that much more expensive ? I was worried that I would find the back scabbard hanging down too low behind and could drive the muzzle into the rocks and dirt ?

I see Shawn Carlock using one to move his equipment in the new DVD as well.

DUH
Old 05-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under Hunter View Post
Cheers GG and Coues !

I was told that the mil spec versions were put together a little better ? Maybe thats why they are that much more expensive ? I was worried that I would find the back scabbard hanging down too low behind and could drive the muzzle into the rocks and dirt ?

I see Shawn Carlock using one to move his equipment in the new DVD as well.

DUH

DUH,

I am not aware if the military packs are put together any better or not. I would sort of doubt it though. You could contact those guys from their website I guess. But regardless the J104 that I have has been through hell and back and is still in fantastic shape. I don't think you could go wrong with any of his packs. And the scabbard is not an issue as far as hanging down too far; I never even notice it's there. Only thing i would suggest is that you check your barrel every time you take the gun out, especially if you have a brake. Little twigs and such will fall in if you go thru any brush and could cause an issue. I do remember Shawn using one on his DVD, but don't remember which one right offhand.

Kevin
Old 05-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Gold Member

Cheers Coues !

I think I'll get the gunslinger. Shawns one is very similar but an earlier version.

DUH
Old 05-28-2008, 10:20 PM
SPONSOR

Call and talk to Glen...

he is great to deal with and very helpful.

tell him your needs, terrain, weapon system you'll be using it for...

he'll get you sent in the proper direction...

SM