Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

EAR PROTECTION?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2005, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

EAR PROTECTION?

...anyone have a recommendation on a good electronic ear muff/amplifier? thanks so much... Larry

"Happy New Year"!
Old 12-31-2005, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: EAR PROTECTION?

Larry, after shooting many thousands of rounds in competition, p. dogs, chucks, and ground squirrels I shoot with the Peltor Tac6 and a pair of ear plugs at the same time. My ears ring, but not enough to be a bother all the time. I do shoot a lot of big boomers with muzzle breaks at this time, so I think that the over kill on ear protection is adequate.

About 10 years ago, I shot a bull elk with a 7 mag with out ear protection with a gun that had a Vias Muzzle break on it...bad news to say the least! I was wearing my pair of Tac 6's, but had stopped to take a wizz, pulled off the muffs, when a big bull elk ran across in front of me. I shot at him three times while I wet myself, finally killing him on the third shot. My ears have rung ever since.

I wear the Tac-6's all the time when I am hunting now,even when I take a wizz, it is great because I probably hear what is going on in the woods 3 times better than the average human with normal hearing!
Old 01-01-2006, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

Keith... thanks so much... I will take a serious look at these muffs... any suggestion as to where to purchase them?

...thanks again for your help, Larry
Old 01-02-2006, 07:41 AM
Bronze Member

I turkey hunt a bunch and shoot several every year. I hunt with an 835 that is ported. I tried walker game ears but didn't like them. Looks like the muff would really get in the way.

Archer
Old 01-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Silver Member

I also use hearing protection when hunting. 3 years ago, I saw a great buck crossing a field. I had a Browning 300 WM with the BOSS and ended up firing all 4 rounds before I put him down. When I got back on my 4-wheeler to go to the buck, I couldn't even hear the bike. 5 days later, I finally got the hearing back in my left ear.

Take care,

Chris