Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Duracoat on knives (and other slow moving items)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Duracoat on knives (and other slow moving items)

It's one of my "creations". That rifle is from Clay Spencer and has an indicated (I believe that's the correct term) crown. It's not something I care to bang around right on the end there but I've taken to covering all my rifles in such a manner nowadays. It's a cane/chair leg tip type thing, hard type rubber with a hole installed by me and a piece of elastic cord attaching it to the bipod. It's larger than the barrel and concave on the very end so there's room for air circulation and nothing to ride against the muzzle/crown. The best part it that if I should forget to remove it before a shot it's cheap, soft and works just as well with a hole in the middle.

Unread 07-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Duracoat on knives (and other slow moving items)

I notice more than a few innovative ideas incorporated into that shooting system.

You're building confidence in folks regarding Duracoat. That's a good thing....

I took particular note of the 'index' mark on the scope power ring. I've done a similar thing on a variable power scope but obsess over index setting errors introduced as distance increases and index setting errors. I haven't obsessed enough to run the numbers yet but I'm getting close [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Would you care to offer a bit of a discourse on the subject from your experience. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Maybe in its own thread.....
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!
Unread 12-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Bronze Member
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
That is nice. The question will be the permanancy of the finish. It would be interesting to see what one of those blades looks like after a season of hunting.
Duracoat wont come off once applied, it will not adhere to rubber though. I use it every day and its just fantastic to work with.

Hope you dont mind but heres a couple of pics.

This system is just so durable its hard to believe.