Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Dumbest things you have heard #2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Bronze Member

Dumbest things you have heard #2

Today I was talking to this older and wiser gentleman, and we got onto the topic of explosive performance from varmit guns. Anyway he stated that the explosive reaction that say a 22-250 has on small furry things is not due to velocity or bullet construction but due to the tiny but violent vortex of wind or as he put it "tornado" that develops in front of the bullet as it is in flight that in turn spins the little furry violently and rips them up WoW what a brainiac.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2005, 02:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Dumbest things you have heard #2

So what happens on a very near miss?

I've had more than one person tell me that a bullet burns its way through a paper target.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:03 AM
Silver Member

Re: Dumbest things you have heard #2

Back when I was in Iraq a fellow platoon member who thinks he knows a lot more then he does was trying to describe (as he put it) the "black hole" behind a .50 cal bullet to a few city guys that were taking it all in. Appraently there follows a sort of 10" wind tunnel behind a 50 cal bullet so even if you miss the target your shooting at by 5 inches the target will still be destroyed. I asked him if this phenonmenon occurs with a 5.56 to and he said no it dont just with a 50cal and bigger. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] So I guess if this is true then all you 50cal shooters out there leave a 10" hole in a paper target everytime you shoot [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Strange through with everything I shot at with my M2 if I didnt hit it...it just started going a heckof alot faster [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Silver Member

Might as well add some of 5.56 insights to....

Just a few of the things that I have overheard about the M-16 in my brief time in the army.
1. The 5.56 bullet is made so it does more damages by not exiting but my tumbling inside the body and having the wonderful power of going in your leg and coming out your neck.
2. The Army only has you shoot at 300meters because apparently the 5.56 hits the ground soon after. (Makes you wonder if they give the marines a different round because theres seem to be able to make it 550yds [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
3. The army adopted the 5.56 round because it was the most accurate and penetrated deeper then a 7.62. (Hmmm so if a 223FMJ penetrates deeper then a 308 why dont we take it down to the next step like a 17HMR and get maximum penetration)
4. The army adopted the 5.56 because it was so good at "brush busting."
These are just a few of the good ones I remember gettin a laugh at. Good luck and good shooting!
Old 08-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Might as well add some of 5.56 insights to....

I have heard that the trajectory from an M16 rises and drops but then rises once again before dropping to the ground. I heard that from a highschool friend back when I was pretty new to centerfire rifles so I didn't have the confidence in my knoledge to call BS. But I think now I would.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:04 AM

Brush Busting... now there is a well heard myth/story all over the North East...

bla bla bla.. get a really big gun because it will "brush bust" better than the smaller ones...

I can't tell you how many time I heave heard guys a the check stations in PA talk about how they made the shot ( exactly where they aimed) after hitting several small saplings while the deer was running through thick brush...

I typically acknowledge them by saying, ... "well thats exactly why you should shoot a 30-30 or a 35 Rem..." ... " good thing you had one" Then they always smile and give me pat on the back and say things such as, "don't worry son, you'll get one of these trophy bucks someday"... Then I reply with "yeah, I can hardly wait to kill one that big..." as I stare with amazement at the fork horn 1.5 yr old buck....
Old 08-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Ric, I don't know why but I couldn't stop laughing after that post [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I think I know some of them old men.