Woman walks into the business at which I worked, and expressed that she was interested in purchasing a pistol for self defense. Money was a mojor factor, and she had a preferance towards a semiauto, so she started filling out the paperwork for a Ruger 9mm. This woman seemed a little off, but nothing major, until we all heard the story after she left. She had told one of my coworkers that she was always being harassed, and really wanted the gun in case she had to defend herself. She told another that she was being harassed by the police following "the fire". She had obvious burn scars on most areas I could see... and was kind enough to share the story why...
A few days after having some of thoe acrylic fingernails glued on, one of them popped off, and she decided that she would go ahead and take off the rest. She went down to the salon that had applied the nails, and they removed them with a process that started by a soak in warmed acetone. The nails were removed cleanly, but at a price that she considered outrageous. A few weeks later when the next set of acrylics were showing wear, rather than going to the salon, she headed to home depot, and picked up a large can of acetone. After arriving home, she placed the ( I am assuming from the size she demonstrated with her hands) 1 qt can (metal) of acetone in the microwave presses the buttons she felt approprate, and headed to the restroom for a nail file. She returned to the kitchen after hearing the smoke alarm to find the microwave on fire, and flames spreading from the door. She opens the door on the microwave to put out the fire, which immediately flashes out of the microwave. She swings the door closed, grabs ahold of the microwave, intending to lift it, and place it in the sink. When she lifts the microwave, the flaming acetone can topples over, immediately pouring a portion of its contents onto the lower cabinets, igniting them. She then attempts to subdue the fire with the little sprayer attached to the sink, and by throwing water soaked rags onto the fire. Somehow, she manages to extinguish the cabinets, and again attempts to lift the (still flaming) microwave to put it into the sink, this time getting far enough into the process that she spills acetone not only onto the cabinet, but herself as well. She runs from the now blindingly smoke filled house, where someone who I understood to be a neighbor who was setting up a sprinkler in the front yard put her out with a garden hose.
After the mentioned man put her out, he called 911. The police were very helpful... untill the fire department and exited the front door with the remains of the acetone can, a couple of other chemicals, and the walmart bag from the days shopping which happened to contained a very large number of boxes of allergy and cold pills containing pseudoephedrine, a substance commonly used to make methanphetamine. The reason she told the police for having such a large number of these pills was that they had been talking about outlawing them on the news (and they have since been regulated in OKLAHOMA) and since her husband used them all the time, so she had better stock up.
A quick search at www.oscn.net
found that her now exhusband had 3 felony drug convictions.
So after a brief meeting of all the staff, we decided that it might be a bad idea to arm this woman, and her NICS paperwork went to the shreader.
My boss, ever the eloquent orator, managed to find words other than "we decided that you might be too stupid to own a firearm" to tell her of the decision.