Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

The dumbest thing you have ever heard..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2005, 03:47 PM
Bronze Member

The dumbest thing you have ever heard..

Just curious what is the dumbest or most unbelivable thing you have ever heard about hunting or shooting in general.. For example I heard a guy claim last week at a local gun store that he had set up 4 4 litre water jugs at 300 to 400 yards in 25 yard increments and then shot 4 out of 4 with his smooth bore berreta shotgun using factory rem slugs..This guy was off his rocker PS: this gun has only got a front bead for sights..
Old 07-31-2005, 04:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: The dumbest thing you have ever heard..

we had a guy swear up and down that he shot a coyote at 400 yards with a 17hmr and it ripped the left side of its rib cage out and flipped the dog on exit. sound realistic to any body here?
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 07-31-2005, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

You guys find those kinds of stories, unique?

I showed a bragging group to a associate, once. He shrugged and said that it seemed to him, that they should all have gone through the same hole? Words failed me.

Good hunting. LB
Old 07-31-2005, 04:36 PM
Bronze Member

Another one I heard recently This guy that comes to the rifle range I shoot at was telling me that he shot a large coyote at 600 plus yards with his 25-06 and when hit the dog's entire head flew off and it's body flipped up in the air over 10 feet.. Consequently this 25-06 load was chronoed
at over 4200 feet per second Ya okay so what bullet did this guy use.. Any way I called him on it and he hasn't said a word to me since
Old 07-31-2005, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

So many to choose from, but one of my favorites was a guys wife who was going to sue me because Her husband had shot himself accidentaly with a pistol I had just sold him.

He had ordered a Ruger P-9 when they first came out and waited for months to get it, as soon as he had it in his hands he went right out to the boonies to shot it with a buddy of his, and the first target they saw was a metal fence post along the hi way. He takes careful aim from 15 feet and lets her fly, He hits the top of the post and the lead separates from the jacket and comes straight back and hits him in the head just above the left eye. It knocked him down and out, as well as left him with a permanent half moon dent in his head.
His shrew of a wife threatened, and wined some more then she asks me what I'm going to do about it.

I looked her right in the eyes and said "I wasn't going to do anything about it after talking to you I think he shot himself on purpose."

The guy still has the pistol and the dent in his skull but not the wife.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious what is the dumbest or most unbelivable thing you have ever heard about hunting or shooting in general

[/ QUOTE ]

My signature line says it all. Well almost all. I left out the part about this grossly obese man being out of breath from his long walk to the back of my store. There is no way he held a gun steady for a shot over 50 yards.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

True story

Three guys go out camping and muzzle loading hunting. Opening day they get up early and head out. One guy winds up walking along a jeep trail and sees a fork horn buck at 75 yds so he lets loose with his TC and when the smoke clears the deer is gone so he turns around and walks back to camp. Second guy comes back to camp and inquires about his hunt and first guy says he fired but missed. Third guy ( my sometimes hunting partner) hunts long and hard and finally heads back to camp along a jeep trail and notices a fork horn buck lying dead 10 feet of the road but leaves it be and continues on to camp where he learns the first guy has shot at such a deer but not gone on down to check . They go and retrieve the deer. First guy is never invited to hunt again.

I know dumber stories but they are about me.

Here is one

Long ago I was out deer hunting in south Alabama with my two younger brothers and during the middle of the day when things were slow, I decided to go shoot a squirrel or two for dinner. Sure enough I see a big ole fox squirrel (red squirrel for you Yankees) and he takes off running so I go running after him and he goes up a tree, but I don’t know which one. I look around and there is a big brushy nest way up a poplar tree and I can see fur so I let go with a load of #4s and down falls a small raccoon. I am somewhat surprised but still need the squirrel, so I look around and there is more movement in the nest up the tree and I see fur again. So I shoot again and down falls another raccoon. I know there is a squirrel somewhere there so I start moving around and sure enough there is more movement in the nest up the tree so I shoot once more and out falls yet a third raccoon. The squirrel cannot be found so I head back to camp and skin up the three little raccoons. What we find out that night is why you will not find
‘Loblolly Pine Roasted Raccoon” on the menu of any five star restaurants.