Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Dream Technology For Shooting- what do you want?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Bronze Member

Dream Technology For Shooting- what do you want?

This is what I want-

Rangefinder that connects to my desktop with USB cable. Using software that comes with the rangefinder I can pre-load all of my ballistics data on it, for let's say 10 different loads. When I range something, the rangefinder will also calculate that angle, the direction I am aiming, everything. The unit will then tell me- in my choice of MOA, mils, IPHY exactly what my correction is for the range and angle that I am wanting to shoot based on the data I gave it with my computer.

Do we really need to carry a freaking PDA? The math is not exactly something that needs to be done on a windows based unit. My dream device takes it out of the equation. I would rather carry a back up rangefinder and a range card than a PDA and my dream system would make the whole process faster- just shoot the laser and get the info. The military could probably use something like this.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Dream Technology For Shooting- what do you want?

How about a scope that does it all. Ranges to the target, reads the wind, the elevation, and all other variables that affect the shot. It then adjusts the recticle and you're ready to shoot. All you do is preprogram the ballistic info for your load.

I'd think some of this will come at some point. Don't know how well any such "scope" will ever read the wind. Any of this available now, like a combination scope and range finder? The rest seems doable to me.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Silver Member

Bushnell and a couple of other companies have a rangefinding scope. I would like to be able to enter my own load ballistics and have the unit range and adjust for atmospheric variables, temperature, humidity, etc and angle.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Silver Member

Something that does all the case trimming and sizing in one or two steps....like a die on a lathe type thingy.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

google earth that doesn't take an internet connection (for range finding). my sprint card doesn't get a good signal in the mountains. i can use my usgs program but topos are don't seem to be as accurate
Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

+1 on the google earth without internet.....you should be able to load up an area that you are hunting.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Silver Member

I guess I'm not as ambitious as you guys are, all I want is a chronograph that works everytime and is accurate to within +- 1 fps! I can take care of the rest from there... for now! ;D