Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Does Coppermelt clean to good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2005, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

Re: Does Coppermelt clean to good?

Winmagman: I would like to point out to you an unusual occurrence I had. I was breaking in a new Lilja barrel and had left my break in prep at the shop. Rather than packing everything backup and going back to the shop, I had some BREAKFREE in the cleaning can and so I used it for the break in. This barrel broke in have the normal time it's ever taken using my old recipe! I have since been using it in place of all my usual, Butch's, Shooters Choice etc. NO it does not get the copper out! When you use the Copper Melt it takes even less work to (fewer stokes) remove the copper. Something I have tried that is a little different, I'm not using the nylon brushes to wrap a patch around. I had a can of a coating for tools in the shop that you dip the part to gives a rubber like coating. Well I took a slotted tip for a Dewey rod and dipped it. Being as how I've got 1000's of the old thick coarse patches on hand, I have been using them instead of the tee shirt patches. I still follow up using the 91% alcohol patches and dry patch on a jag tipped, separate Dewey rod. I don't know if this will help anybody else, but when you have a couple of cases of 1000 pack patches on hand a guy has got to save the bacon! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]