Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Does Coppermelt clean to good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Does Coppermelt clean to good?

I got my little silver bottle in the mail on Thurs. and of course had to try it out on a rifle right away. Just like everybody says it is truly amazing stuff, cleans easily and completely.
However, the instuctions say after cleaning just dry patch the bore and not to oil unless storing the gun. Now if this stuff cleans down to bare metal as it appears to, wouldn't it contribute to barrel wear firing rounds down an unoiled bare metal barrel?
Maybe I'm over-anylizing this because this stuff just seems to good to be true. Lets hear some opinions please.
Chris
Old 03-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: Does Coppermelt clean to good?

It's sort of hard to imagine what kind of oil would stand-up to the high temp of the powder gases anyway? I know this is an old debate. Dry bore verses oiled bore. Having shot and worn out barrels both ways I can't tell the difference in barrel life. However, ever since I got this Hawk-eye bore scope in 1996, I have proved (at least to myself) The barrels do seem to clean faster when I start with the unoiled bore. For what that's worth? I use to be a great believer in Kroil, REM-OIL etc. Now with the bore-scope I'm not as sure. Like I said this is just my findings. Heck I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there that will tell you different. Question like you ask are the kind I ask the barrel makers, and I already know there answers. "Don't shoot with a dry bore". See the old debate just won't die!
Old 03-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

I'm a shooter. My guns don't sit very long without being fired. I have shot them oiled and dry. Some I can see helps with fouling if oiled, others no difference. Coppermelt directions seem to be pretty trustworthy in my opinion.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

Montana Extreme sells a "Bore Conditioner" that I use. Seems to work like Kroil to protect a dry bore, but you do not get the wide first shot variance like Kroil or any other type of lubricant.

Sinclair sells it for $6.50 4oz bottle and lasts long time. 800-717-8211

BH
Old 03-25-2005, 08:07 AM
Bronze Member

I apparently missed the thread on the copper melt. Would someone please direct me? I'm curious about it but didn't want to start a new thread unless necessary. Thanks
Old 03-25-2005, 08:21 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
I apparently missed the thread on the copper melt. Would someone please direct me? I'm curious about it but didn't want to start a new thread unless necessary. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ] Go to EQUIPMENT REVIEWS. The post is under "Had it with chemical solvents not working" P.S. Lots of info on this product! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

3sixbits
Thanks for the info. I really wasn't trying to start any debate, just trying to figure out whats best for my guns.

gg
I'm envious, I'm lucky if I can get mine out twice a month. Wasn't knocking Coppermelt, the stuff is awesome, I'd just hate to think I was wearing out a barrel any faster than needed.

BH
Thanks for the bore conditioner tip. I've got some stuff called Smooth Kote/BP 2000 that is supposed to do the same thing. Mike Rock (Rock Creek Barrels) gave it to me with my last barrel. He said the worst thing you could do to a barrel was fire rounds down a bare bore. But that was in a barrel break in conversation. Just trying to find out if the same applies after a barrel is broken in.
Chris