Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Discusion with the Daughter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Discusion with the Daughter

Driving out to the range this evening and my daughter says "So dad! what would be a good gun for me other than the one I already have?" I can tell you she had my attention, the girl wants more guns!!! I'm so proud! I asked her what do you mean exactly? There's lots to consider what is it you want out of it?

Her: well one that can shoot farther, but doesn't hurt
Me: shoots farther.....
Her: yea like your 7mag
Me: you want to start getting into long range?
Her: yea
(I'm just beaming at this point lol)
Me: well there's the 7mag, I go into a list that keeps recoil down but will still reach way out there, and reach a good distance with sufficient down range performance for game, and touch on the effect barrel length and profile has on felt recoil and weight. I left if off there so she had something to think on.

While at the range she was shooting the 7mag and decided that it had less felt than her 7mm-08, 13# vs 8#

Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Gold Member

Re: Discusion with the Daughter

Sweet.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Silver Member

Whelp time to brake out the check book and get the little girl a real long range gun dad ;-)
Old 10-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

build is the word, gotta make it fit ;) but shes 6ft so that wont be hard
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-13-2012, 12:07 AM
Silver Member

What ever you do remember girls like pink ;-)

My buddy got he's niece her first shot gun last month and she wanted a pink one so bad but he just couldn't bring hem self to buy one ;-)
Old 10-13-2012, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by submoa View Post
What ever you do remember girls like pink ;-)

My buddy got he's niece her first shot gun last month and she wanted a pink one so bad but he just couldn't bring hem self to buy one ;-)
oh she wants to restock her 7mm-08 and paint it pink camo. I'm all ok! started looking for patterns for ideas I'm thinking a kit from duracote, I build her a rifle I'll paint the whole thing in pink camo!

Joe
Old 10-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

Do whatever you have to do to keep her engaged. It can be difficult to find things that fathers and daughters can do together and both have a mutual interest.

I shoot with my niece from time to time and I have a 223 just for her. Then she was watching the recoil on my 260. It didn't take long before she was shooting the 260. Of course she likes the 260 as it is a $5k custom rifle. (and I'm giving consideration to building a similar rifle for her!)