Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Diesel Truck for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Gold Member

Re: Diesel Truck for hunting

I took a Dodge for a run today the new one is real quiet running and I like 4 door. The dealer did not have a manual trans in stock and he said the ones coming in April will have an optional 600 Foot Pounds of torque that may be worth considering. I thought I had my mind set on a Ford [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2004, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

I'd be getting the Dodge Cummins if I didn't already have one. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Went for a ride in a 92 Dodge with the Cummins. My neighbor plows snow with this one and he did some plowing for me. We have about 24" of snow laying on the ground and the State plows have it piled up along driveways up to the bottom of your truck windows. That old Dodge with the automatic and 171,000 miles took no time to open up my lane and gated area at the road.
He has been plowing for years with it and it's his first line vehical. In fantastic condition to.
Have another neighbor with the Dodge Cummins to.

This is Dodge country. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Later
DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2004, 02:54 PM
*WyoWhisper*

ANYONE.. getting anty diesel...

If you get a chip for it you BETTER or even MUST!!! without exception get your exhaust enlarged as well as replace the or eliminate the catalitic converter and muffler.. your temps will get so high you start te melt/break stuff... you CANNOT just chip a diesel and get after it... you'll spend A LOT more money down the road!!

the Banks Systems are the best out there and anyone who installs them ca give the details on what I am talking about.. PLEASE just don't throw in a chip and htink you;ve sone the right thing!!
Old 02-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Rics correct.

The Banks kit comes with a full larger exhaust system, a larger intercooler, a waste gate turbo, instructions on turning up the pumps, both Boost and exhaust temp gauges and all connections for everything.

Jumps the horsepower by 60 to 80 HP in most diesels and increases the miles per gallon.

Later
DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2004, 06:20 AM
Silver Member

Ric, Good words of advice. I would also add a full set of gauges to the list (Boost, Pyrometer, trans temp). If you are towing heavy with a chip you will want to watch your pyrometer. I very good site to check out is www.thedieselstop.com They have lots of good info, mostly fords but there are some real nice dodge and chevy folks there.

Matt
Old 02-07-2004, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

I used to have two diesel vehicles. Guess what they were?
VW Jetta Diesel and Chev Silverado Diesel.
The VW Jetta gave me average 50MPG (Canadian MPG). I could drive to Wyoming, less than $40!
One comment puzzled me is that if you have the lack of glow plugs, it will not start, is this true? It may be a little different than my car, VW Jetta TDI because the idiot light came on (the service check) and I went to the dealer about it and the mechanic found the problem and it was the fuse that blew out. I had that light on for 2-3 months and I can start the car just fine.
The mechanic said you don't need the glow plug during the summer time. It will start without them. You will need the glow plugs in the winter time to warm the "heads" or something like that.

-Denny
Old 02-08-2004, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

Whether or not a diesel engine will start in cold weather without glow plugs depends entirely on compression. Just because an engine runs on diesel fuel doesn't neccisarily mean that it has a very high compression ratio. We have an Onan 4cyl diesel generator, will not start without glow plugs period. It has very low compression for a diesel engine. Thinking back a few years to a chemistry class I took, the temp. required for combustion to occur decreases as pressure increases. In other words If you constructed a motor with enough compression, no external heat source would be required no matter how cold you got. Realisticly speaking that is, doesn't hold up if you hit absolute zero. But then that's a hell of a lot colder than any situation anyone would ever be in.