Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Diesel Truck for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: Diesel Truck for hunting

DC, will you be at the show this Saturday?
[Reaching for wallet] You wouldn't happen to be a betting man would you?
Impossible means not done YET!
Old 02-04-2004, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Randy

Don't know if I'll make it down there at all.

Depends on if we go down to vist my wifes Mother and Father in Harrisburg during that time.

If we decide to go it will be at the last minute and through the week.
Not on the weekend.

Later
DC
Old 02-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for all the input I have narrowed it down to a used F250 or a F350 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel Manual trans Not sure on the year. Is the Turbo worth getting? Is the chip a hand held unit that hooks up to the diagnostic port?
Crow Mag
Old 02-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

Hunter66654, the fuel pump problems were only for the 24-valve engines from 1998.5 - 2002. The 2003 and up fuel pumps are a different design for the HPCR Cummins.

CrowMag - A turbo is an absolute must in my opinion - a diesel engine without one is slower than hell - remember the 1980's chevy and ford diesels? Pulling anything with them was a futile effort if you came to a hill.
The chip, at least for the Dodge, is plugged in between the regular wire harness and some of the electronics on the engine - this chip changes the signals so that the fuel curve is recalibrated for more power. The 12 valve Cummins engines (1989 - 1998) are all mechanical (no electronics on the injection pump) so they are cheap and easy to pump up.
Whatever you buy, if you chip it or modify it for more power, be sure to get a exhaust temp gauge so you don't melt the pistons.

[ 02-04-2004: Message edited by: gonehuntingagain ]
Old 02-05-2004, 12:52 AM
Silver Member

Thanks, BH. It scared the hell out of me for a few minutes. Does anyone else have any comments or experience with the fuel pump on the 2003 Dodge HO Diesel?
Old 02-05-2004, 12:53 AM
Silver Member

Thanks, BH. It scared the hell out of me for a few minutes. Does anyone else have any comments or experience with the fuel pump on the 2003 Dodge HO Diesel?
Old 02-05-2004, 01:42 AM
Silver Member

I have a 2002 3/4ton 4x4 HO Cummins 6spd manual trans (54,000mi). My dad has a 99 3/4ton cummins w/auto (190K mi or so was 185k when I looked back in Dec.). His has had problems for a while (fuel transfer pump and trans problems (torqueconverter)that is). Now when ya'll speak of fuel pump problems try to be clear on what exactly your speaking of. The 98.5-02 cummins have a fuel transfer pump (which has been know to have problems) When the transfer pump goes out (DON'T CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER) you won't get it started again. As long as you don't get air in the fuel lines, the engine will start and run normaly even when the transfer pump is all but gone. But I does need to be replaced.
The Bosch fuel injector pump is not exactly a piece of junk! It is a sound piece of equipment, and like all pumps that put out high pressures it will eventualy wear out. I know several hot shot drivers running cummins engines that have over 250mi on the original injector pumps, and still going.

DC is very corret about the lack of glow plugs though. Well it's not really lacking in any case. The Cummins engine is a true diesel engine. The only heat it needs is generated during compression. The fuel preheater is for extreme cold weather and to help prevent fuel gelling. As a matter of fact I started mine up in 28degree F temp last Nov. with out allowing the fuel preheat cycle to begin. Just wanted to see if it would. Cranked right up, and I don't mean I cranked on it for 5-10 sec, I mean I touched the key and it was running. Just like I do every morning. Not realy saying anything bad about Ford or Chevy but I know for a fact that neither one of them can do that with out the glow plugs heating up first. Seen and heard them crank and crank then start in the morning when leaving camp.
The tranny problems stem from Chrystler putting a torq-converter that isn't up to the task of handling the torque and Hp the cummins engine has. The trans. itself is a good transmition, fitted with a good torque-converter it will hold up with the Ford 5spd and the Allison. Just go ask the guys who drag race and tractor pull with their cummins/auto. But seeing in how I prersonaly don't like automatics, went with the 6spd manual.
Anyway, it's late i'm tired. And now i'm gone.