Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Diesel Truck for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2004, 06:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: Diesel Truck for hunting

Eric,

I have a 2000 F-250 with the 7.3 Diesel. She runs great. If you can handle the higher intitial cost and the higher maintance costs (15 qts of oil vs 6 for the gasser, $10 oil filter, fuel pump every 3 oil changes, air filter every 3 oil changes)the diesel is the way to go. I get around 20-22 MPG on the highway at 70 mph with my buddy and our hunting gear. Towing my race car I get about 15-16 mpg. If you keep the truck til the wheels fall the diesel will outlive the rest of the truck. I know lots of people with the new Ford 6.0L diesel and have no problems. The major issues have been resolved. Get the 4 door crew cab. I have the extended cab and wished I had the crew cab ever since I went on my first trip with it. I had my Diesel out there when I shot with you and Mr Browning last year. Feel free to ask any questions.

Matt
Old 02-04-2004, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

Wyo, What makes the Duramax Diesel a joke?

Looks to me like the Allison offsets a small deficit of the engine. Also my GMC dealer will install the 400 HP chip and still offer the full warranty.

What should I know?

(For others to respond to as well)
[Reaching for wallet] You wouldn't happen to be a betting man would you?
Impossible means not done YET!
Old 02-04-2004, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

Matt, are you actually putting in a new fuel pump every 3 oil changes and if so, what does this cost ? Another post talked about the weak fuel pump in the Dodge which is what I have ( 2003 ).
Old 02-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Randy

when he said joke think he was referring to about them being quiet.

What does the chip give you that you need? Better MPG or more power and less MPG?

Hunter

Think he was talking a new fuel pump "filter" every 3 oil changes.

BH
Old 02-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

BH. I will be towing a 5th wheel of 13,000 or so lbs and will accept xtra power. Not sure about other Chip benefits but have not ordered it yet.
[Reaching for wallet] You wouldn't happen to be a betting man would you?
Impossible means not done YET!
Old 02-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Silver Member

Hunter66654,

Sorry that was a typo. It should read fuel FILTER. The fuel pump has been maintenance free for 120K miles. I have not heard anything bad about the Dodge fuel pumps. They are really quiet now. I love the Cummins motor just not the Dodge truck as a whole. I had a 96 model that was a big POS. Nickle and dimed me to death. I have heard good things about the Chevy D-max. The trans is nice (allison automatic). Fords new 5spd automatic with the tow/haul mode works REALLY nice. My brother has a Crew Cab 4X4 and tows a big enclosed trailer. I drove it last fall. It is very very nice for towing. Big change from my 4R100 automatic in the 2000 Super Duty.

By the way, I have the 100 HP chip in my Powerstroke and she flat hauls. It is from TS Performance. Call them up and talk to Dennis Perry. He will take care of you. Not only does it improve engine performance but it adjusts the trans shifting. I bought it mainly to help the trans. The boost in performance was a bonus.

Matt

[ 02-04-2004: Message edited by: Matt Regalia ]
Old 02-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Have a friend in Ohio that has one of the 6 speed standard HO and he has had NO problems with a fuel pump ever.

Randy the chip will give you more HP and also better fuel economy because it is running more efficiently.

As for the question about the Chevy diesel being a joke, he may have meant because it's "JAP" engine in the Chevy?

One could always get the standard transmission and not worry about tearing out the automatic with the extra torque of ANY of the diesels.
This is what a "very large" transmission shop in Akron recomended when I took my Ford Automatic in to have it rebuilt. That cost me $2250.00. I'll take the standard everytime now.

Not sure if the Allison would hold up any better?

Later
DC