Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

The definition of a trophy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: The definition of a trophy

Great post, ya done the sporting world good!!!
Sometimes we get a little full of ourselves and look at the #s too much. Lot more goes into a trophy than just what it scores!!
Old 09-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Bronze Member

I agree completely and thank you for a great post.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

GREAT POST!!! Agree with everyones opinion. For me the most important part of hunting is enjoying every minute out there, every buck or doe, every hill, every glassing session, every stalk, every shot, everything about it, and of course all the meals hunting gives me. Nobody but you know what did you put into each hunt!!! Dont care what someone else thinks, if any specific animal is a trophy for me, and they dont like them #!$%$..ck them.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

As I look around me right now I see a lot of small racks on the wall, dresser, shelves etc.. I have only 2 shoulder mounts and they are not monsters. I also have a lot of great stoties, memories, etc.. to go around.

Every year it seems that I pass up good sized to large racked bucks early in the season only to shoot something smaller later. I don't regret it when the season is over (not always anyway). I get to spend alot of time out with my son, brother, and friends, enjoying some treasured moments. That is why I hunt, to me a monster buck or bull is just a bonus.

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’ — Richard Henry Lee, 1787
Old 09-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

All well said.

I have never taken a booner, I would like to, but if I ever do, I will probably not enter it. My trophies are mine, and they mean a lot to me. I shot the biggest bull of my life last year. The best memories of the hunt are that it was my son's first hunting trip. He shot his 1st deer a couple hours before I shot my bull. Then the next day he shot his 1st elk, a cow. Most of all, when I get to hang that bull on my wall, I will remember my son running down the hill to where I made my shot to greet me.

It's all in the memories of the hunt.

Steve
Old 09-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member

JE, very good post. What is it that makes some of the so called "help" at sporting good stores so arrogant. Like all of us on the other side of the counter are not worthy. Oh well.

You did a great thing.

Thanks for the post.

Jeff

Old 09-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Gold Member

Great deed and thanks for sharing it with a post.