Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Dangerous incounters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 06:54 AM
Silver Member

Dangerous incounters

I was out hunting last week while walking through the bush I stepped over a log and down by my foot was a tiger snake, iv come across snakes while hunting but never this close i was about a inch away from its head, why it didn't strike at me is a mystery. It got me thinking about other close calls iv heard of hunters having incounters with other dangerous animals but I'd like to hear your story's if you have any, hopefully no one got hurt.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Dangerous incounters

Got a little close to this guy. But I didn't feel I was in any real danger.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Bronze Member

Stepped directly on a coiled rattlesnake once. We were packing in fencing material into a snake infested canyon. I was leading a horse down the trail. Snake was coiled in the shade of a rock. Seen the snake about the same time he saw me. I paused with my foot in the air right over the snake. Stopped so suddenly the horse ran into me. Which of course caused me to put my foot down. Now I am standing on a very pissed off rattlesnake, head sticking out on side of my boot. Rattle out the other side. Lucky for me the horse did not panic and run me over. Dad came around the horse and chopped the snakes head off with a shovel. Killed 127 rattlesnakes on that job. And that was just the one's that got in the way of the fence. Nine buttons on the rattle, think I still have it around in my collection.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Bronze Member

I was elk hunting in the Cascades in western Oregon, when I saw the top of a Vine Maple shaking over a rise about 100 yards in front of me. As I got to the top of the ridge I saw it was a large 4x4 Black tail buck raking his antlers at the base of the maple about 40 yards away. You cant hunt deer during elk season in Oregon. As I stood there watching (thinking this is really cool) the buck suddenly stopped and looked right at me, we stared at each other for about 30 seconds and then he charged me! In the time it took me shoulder my rifle he had closed most of the 40 yards, I thought I was in trouble and clicked off the safety and just as I started to squeeze the trigger he stopped. Again we stared at each other about 20 feet apart, it seemed like a long time starring at each other, me still with my finger on the trigger, finally the buck turned and bound away.

I must say that was rather exciting! I'm not sure what I would have done with a buck out of season if he didn't stop.

5 Acres on the east side of the Coburg hills in Oregon.

I have Two Dogs, but my 10mm is for protection
Old 10-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Got a little close to this guy. But I didn't feel I was in any real danger.

Broz, this looks like a story worth sharing

When I was younger I was a logger, while tending hook I was in the back end one day packing rigging to the next tail hold. It had snowed 6" overnight and along the way I had to pack my rigging across a windfall over a draw. On the way back as I was crossing back over the windfall I noticed tracks in my tracks in the snow. As I looked closer I saw that they were cougar tracks! It had only been about 5 or 10 minutes since I had crossed the first time, the snow under the timber was spotty so I couldn't tell for sure but I'm pretty sure he was following me.

Needless to say I was looking over my shoulder the rest of the day.

5 Acres on the east side of the Coburg hills in Oregon.

I have Two Dogs, but my 10mm is for protection
Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

I've ran into a few rattle snakes, almost stepped on one last year crossing a fence but the funny part was my buddy who hates snakes had crossed in front of me, they don't bother me at all so I had to tease him a little.
Got myself in a little tug of war pistol whipping contest with a Mt lion and hound dog, that was one that you sit down and start shaking after the dust clears, not fun at all.
Released a few bobcats which has proven to not be a fun deal, those little buggers get PISSED!!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Bronze Member

We were hunting in SC and going by a spot riding down the road where we had a trail camera. My 18 year old son said he would run in and get the camera so I stopped. My son was literal. He took off and ran towards the camera. About 1/3 of the way there he jumped a downed log. As he did, a coiled diamond back struck the bottom of his snake boots. He sailed over the snake and never looked back. Close call.