Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Dangerous Game rifle, thoughts please?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Dangerous Game rifle, thoughts please?

All,

I've decided that I have a hole in my arsenal, I absolutely 'need' a dangerous game rifle. Just in case I win the lottery or meet a long lost rich uncle!

I've been doing a bit of reading and dreaming and have 2 animals on my 'must have list', Cape Buffalo and Griz. A friend of mine is leaving after Buf in early Sept. He is using a .375 H&H 24" with 300gr TSX and Solid at 2450-2550fps.

I've kicked around all the big calibers and think the most realistic for me would be a .375 H&H, I know it is far from the biggest/meanest out there. But I think a rifle in the 11-12lb class would be shootable enough for me to 'really' practice a bunch.

I am very partial to the ergonomics of the Rem 700, but the 2 items seem to be lacking with regard's to using it as a dangerous game rifle ( extraction and control round feed). Don't know if both of these can be overcome sufficiently, or if another action (Win 70) would be better suited.

I figure a 22" Heavy barrel on a heavy stock like a McMillan Lazzeroni Sporter would allow me to get around 4200 ft lbs with a 300gr solid at around 2600fps or so; and still have a manageable recoil of 30lb's or less.

I'd have open express sites, as well as a removable 1x4 scope with a wide field of view. I'd have a second scope (probably 2.5x8) that could drop on for hunting non-dangerous game. If I ever got to Africa, I could then use it out to 175+ on the plains game.

OK, What do you think?

I'm afraid that the 'bigger' rifles would not get the use that the .375 would in my case.

Thanks,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Aj

I am a fan of the 416s and hear is the reason.

The range of bullet weights (300,325,350,400 and 410grs)

If you look at the trajectory tables and compair the 416 with
the lighter bullets ,they are very good.

With a heavy rifle recoil is not bad with the lighter bullets.

Also if you plan to go to Africa some countries will not allow anything
under .40 calibre.

And some P H,s will not allow muzzel breaks so weight is good on a
375 or a 416.

I have 2 416s and have shot up to 50 rounds at one sitting before losing
interest.One is a 416 rem in a safari grade 700 rem. and the other is a
416 Buff based on a 375 RUM case (About 100ft/sec slower
than a 416 weatherby) also on a 700 rem long action.

The 300 to 350gr bullets are great for Brown bear and the 400 or 410gr
solids are Cape Buffalo poison.

Shooting the 416 in a lead sled is a non,event.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 08-21-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

I don't think you can go wrong with a 375. If you think that is as much recoil as you can handle for extended practice, than it sounds like a good choice. I dont like recoil and I shoot a Win Mod 70 375 H&H (no brake) If you intend to shoot plains game in a thick area it's a great choice. If you plan on plains game in an open area like parts of the eastern cape, skip it and bring a 7mm or 30 cal that can reach out. For dangerous game I would shoot the bigest cal.I could shoot well, for me thats a 375. I'm not a huge 70 fan and I didn't need controlled feed, but function is everything in a true DGR rifle. If it were me and I used a 700 it would have a pinned M16 extractor. My 70 is set up to cam over if I need to throw a round in the chamber.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

AJ, I have never hunted dangerous game, but like you, have given it a lot of thought. The .375 is in my opinion, entry level for dangerous game. Some African countries don't even allow it though because they require minimum .40 cal. I would recommend the .416 Rem mag. It can be used like a .375 for all kinds of game; lots of bullet weights and types, can be loaded down, factory ammo is available, etc. On the extractor question, I have never seen a Remington 700 fail to extract, but I'm sure that there are controlled feed rifles available in the .416 Rem caliber. I've never seen a Mauser action fail to extract either, but have seen them jam on feeding. I doubt any of them are fool-proof though, because it appears that the double rifles are preferred by many P/H's. (No way I could afford one).

I have a Mauser actioned .375 H&H and a Wby MK V .460. I actually enjoy shooting the .460 more than the .375, and if I ever get the chance to hunt dangerous game, will use it. I'm chicken, and would want to use the biggest, baddest rifle that I have. (see my signature). You're right, neither one gets shot much, but I enjoy both, and shoot them occasionally, when I feel like getting my ***** kicked.

There are guys on here that have hunted dangerous game and actually know what they're talking about. Maybe they'll jump in.

Good hunting, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 07-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Platinum Member

Are you wanting a true Dangerous game rifle thats intended on stopping a charge weather it be from cracked out Zebra to a 8000lb bull elephant? or are you looking for somthing as an all around rifle for hunting Africa?

If I were going to Aferica I'd be bringing more than one gun , I bring a flat shooting deer/elk style rifle , a mid sized heavy game rifle like the 375 RUM or 416 Rigby , and a "Dangerous" game rifle somthing 458 Win mag at the minimum , A 460 Wby is a great round for Africa , it can be loaded down slightly with lighter bullets in the 350gr class to meet 458 win performance or stoked up to push a 500gr bullet to 2700fps ,the later is pretty punishing in a gun without a brake.

If your going to bring only one gun then I'd look at the 416 Rigby or Weatherby realy hard and they would be at the bottom of the energy scale as a charge stopper
Old 07-21-2008, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

There is nothing at all wrong with a properly loaded 375 H&H. I don't know of any country that will not allow it's use and many even allow the 9.3X62 as well. I personally know people that took thier Cape Buffalos (with one shot each) a 300 Win Mag. Allen Day took 2 with his 300 Win. with one shot each

If you can't kill it cleanly with a 375 H&H then you are either use a very bad bullet or you ain't putting the bullet in the correct location

Last edited by jwp475; 07-21-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specweldtom View Post
AJ, I have never hunted dangerous game, but like you, have given it a lot of thought. The .375 is in my opinion, entry level for dangerous game. Some African countries don't even allow it though because they require minimum .40 cal. I would recommend the .416 Rem mag. It can be used like a .375 for all kinds of game; lots of bullet weights and types, can be loaded down, factory ammo is available, etc. On the extractor question, I have never seen a Remington 700 fail to extract, but I'm sure that there are controlled feed rifles available in the .416 Rem caliber. I've never seen a Mauser action fail to extract either, but have seen them jam on feeding. I doubt any of them are fool-proof though, because it appears that the double rifles are preferred by many P/H's. (No way I could afford one).

I have a Mauser actioned .375 H&H and a Wby MK V .460. I actually enjoy shooting the .460 more than the .375, and if I ever get the chance to hunt dangerous game, will use it. I'm chicken, and would want to use the biggest, baddest rifle that I have. (see my signature). You're right, neither one gets shot much, but I enjoy both, and shoot them occasionally, when I feel like getting my ***** kicked.

There are guys on here that have hunted dangerous game and actually know what they're talking about. Maybe they'll jump in.

Good hunting, Tom
It happens, my 700 extractor failed one month before Africa. My 2nd failed extractor came 7 years later. With recoil being a consideration I shoot a 375. I would rather shoot a 416 Rigby. Not needed for Buff. As for the Elephant, my friend dropped his tusker at 20" went home sold his Rigby and now has a 500 Jefrey. Whole different story.