Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Cull Shooting...multiple kills per session

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: Cull Shooting...multiple kills per session

Dave, forgot to thank you for your time with this post and info provided. You have given me something to think about and something to try this year.
Thanks,
Ben
Old 02-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Ian. I did not know you had this much experience in this area. I thought the brown bear was sort of a "one of few" for ya and thought you mostly did the deer and elk hunts.

If you dont mind I am going to send you an email so as not to hijack this great thread.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

No problem, I enjoyed it.

I'll add a few more things here later...things I learned shooting crop damage.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Silver Member

Dave, its great we have sites like this. It makes people think and it allows for great conversations and information to be past.

At 40yrs old I have always been taught to shoot one way, and now I teach that same information like it is the only way. But sites like this make you realize just how little you know and how much people in different areas or different circumstances can teach you.

I thank you and everyone else here that uses this forum to pass on their experiances and their knowledge. I would just like for you and others to know how much the information they share is valued. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Ben
Old 02-22-2005, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

One of the most important things I've found in shooting multiple deer, is shooting the matriarch(leader) first. The matriarch is almost always the oldest doe in the herd, usaully in the front . Deer are herd animales and have a leader, shoot her first, and they have to elect a new one, sort of. After you shoot the lead doe the others kind of panic, confused about what to do. If you do it right you can locate another that seems to be taking over and shoot her, then the next and so on. We have shot the entire group, anywhere from a couple to 8-10 before they ran away. If you shoot one of the young does more then likely you wont get multiple shots.

Dave, I'd be interested in hearing your take on this.

BTW, good explanation on head shots.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

Charles

Your observations mimic mine, shoot the lead doe first with a DRT shot (Ian McMurchy's 'Dead Right There' term) and in the confusion to elect a new leader shoot the remaining deer. They seem unable/reluctant to leave the area with the lead doe "sleeping" calmly even in the face of apparent but unrecognized danger. I still try to remain unseen or unrecognizable during the shoot beause they will often hold the election at a backup site if they spot the hunter/shooter. Many times even if one of two get out of the field they'll return in a relatively short while via a little "sneak and peak" ritual(ist) walk; walk forward...stick head way out and a little to the side having legs braced far apart...leer at the field...walk a little closer...stick head way out having legs braced far apart...leer at the field...on and on until they're tooo close and "bang!".
Old 02-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Gold Member

Out this afternoon, tried the headshot theory. Crawled across a very muddy field to get in on a group of 5 in a fold in the hill.

Got to 160m and set the rifle up on its bipod. All 5 deer couched and day-dreaming.

Spent some time watching and trying to ID the matriarch.

Made my decision and took the shot -never done a head shot on a deer before- and , as you'd expect, the hit was instant lights-out.

Cycled the bolt quickly ready to take one of the other does as they hesitated. But they all just buggered off!

2 lessons -

1. I need to sort out my matriarch recognition!

2. Derek (AKA Nowler) is right, one of these days I really am going to have to get a moderator/ suppressor!