Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Crappy year...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

Crappy year...

Draw results for the 2012 season here in wyoming and I drew almost nothing. My same old late season whitetail tag which was good until I realized they changed it and my honey holes are no longer included in the tag. I also drew an early season cow elk tag, nothing too great, so looks Like instead of looking for the giant buck or bull I will be looking for that ultimate shot.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 06-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Crappy year...

You're getting to be quite the junkie! I've got a picture from National Geographic showing a crocodile/alligator in the Bighorn Basin Wyoming. I'm labeling it the only thing Mike didn't kill in Wyoming in the last year. Of course that was from before global warming cut their numbers. Maybe USFWS will make that their next transplant, and you'll get a crack at one yet.
We're batting zero here as well. A doe tag is it so far. I screwed up my Oregon stuff so not even getting points there. Wyoming, Utah and Nevada points only this year. Getting a friend through hunter ed, and helping him fill his youth tag will be the high point. They did extend our cat season making it more feasible to call one. There are a couple of spots I've been wanting to try for a few years. Calling a bear remains on my bucket list.
Any OTC, rut or late whitetail you know of in Wy?
Old 06-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

not that I know of, maybe on the east side of the state there is something

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

I've looked, not hard, and haven't found one. Always looking at something to get out of our jungles. We have good whitetail, but no general season rut hunts. They have added some draws that look good but pretty stiff odds usually. Probably track the ATV, and get more predator oriented.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

I drew my Oregon Deer tag for the first time in 8 FREAKIN' YEARS!!
So I'm stoaked!
But with being the new guy, working for a Central Oregon POWERHOUSE construction company, I figured id better buy points for Elk, Spring Bear, Antelope, & Antlerless Deer. I don't have enough seniority or $ to waste points on any other draws & not be able to go. I'll just go General season Bear, & Elk whenever I can get away with it.
This is the first tag of any kind I've drawn since my Elk tag in 08'!! That ended horribly! No Elk, (didn't even see one till after the season) then to top it off, I got out of the woods & back into radio reception in time to here the disastrous election results Now that was a BAD Elk season!
Aside from that, I'm so sick & tired of Oregon Department of Wildlife jacking me around that ill likely hunt out of state from now on once my points run out. It's just not worth the ever increasing prices for less quality game, & less odds of actually filling the freezer IF your lucky enough to draw. I'll go general season still if its convienient, but I'm taking my $ elsewhere for the draws etc. Idaho, Montana, & maybe even Wyoming

Oh well. At least I drew 1 tag this year, plus General Season Bear is usually pretty good to me. I gotta try and stay positive.

Harper,
Where are you in Wa. st.?

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 06-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

i drew a late season cow elk tag in Colorado, an any elk tag in western Wyoming, and a youth doe tag for North Dakota. my Dad drew the same Wyoming tag, and a doe tag for North Dakota, and he got a brown colored black bear in Montana this spring.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 06-20-2012, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
Draw results for the 2012 season here in wyoming and I drew almost nothing. My same old late season whitetail tag which was good until I realized they changed it and my honey holes are no longer included in the tag. I also drew an early season cow elk tag, nothing too great, so looks Like instead of looking for the giant buck or bull I will be looking for that ultimate shot.
Man! I don't know what to tell you. Almost nothing? With a cow elk tag and a
white tail's? LOL maybe I need to move to Wyoming.

After 11 years in a row and before that for about 10 years off and on, I finally got a
Bull Elk tag in Nevada. I'm all excited and thankful to the Lord for that.

Good luck on you hunts and try to enjoy them as much as possible.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!