Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Concealed Carry for Women

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Concealed Carry for Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by webs View Post
My goal in this is to be able to narrow down a selection of say 5-6 quality pistols and then allow her to make a decision off of that. Until we started dating she had never held a firearm much less shot one and now she has shot her first pheasant, shoots in a female sporting clays program, goes duck/goose hunting with me and will be deer hunting for the first time this fall. I never have pushed her too any of this she just loves it.
If you were closer she could rummage through the safe, find what she likes, and then go shoot it. This is the tough part trial and error being part of the process, and error costing several hundred dollars. If you have old gun nuts in your circle of friends and family, many old gun nuts don't mind being asked. Anytime you can move firearms discussion away from the counter to where you can send rounds downrange is a plus.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Silver Member

Well we looked at three pistols before picking up her shotgun at Scheels.

The Ruger LCP 380 feels like a toy with a lot of slop between the slide and action. The trigger is a very long heavy pull as well. Pulling back the slide wasn't too difficult. I have heard from many sources that the recoil from this really beats up the meat between your thumb and trigger finger. Approximate price is $300.

The Taurus 738 380- Well the size is the only thing I like about this thing. The slide lock can barely be pushed in to close the action. I could barely even do it. I have to admit that there are no sharp edges. Even the sights on the top are non existent. Approximate price is $300.

The Sig P238 380- This gun is a real nice piece. The action is extremely easy to open and close. The fit and finish are great and it feels great in your hand. The trigger is decent not to light and fairly crisp. In with is being in every way better than the other two pistols it is also twice the price at $680.

Well the next stop will be Cabelas to see what they have in stock.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

The 70+ year old Walther PPK is another compact 380 that shoud be checked out. It is reliable, well balanced, accurate, and compact. it has been argued that no one has really improved on it's design when it comes to 380 autos. I know a gal that has had one for her carry pistol for many years, and she sure knows how to use it.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 06-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not sure how I'd forgotten the Walther, thank you. Certainly one to be evaluated.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

I'm hearing great things about the Walter PPQ M2.
Great ergonomics, great trigger, reliable, and won't break the bank...