Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

computers vs dead reckoning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: computers vs dead reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterb View Post
Thanks AJ. Would it be safe to assume that it is otherwise known as a gopher ?

Whatever it is, it sounds a bit like our Australian rabbit which is a real nuisance, but fun to shoot. They just sit out in the open - dumb succers !
- getting a bit late down here, so catcha tomorrow -

Cheers,

Pete.

Yeah, close to gophers, but thinner and quicker. Here is a link to some pictures

Pictures of Prairie Dogs

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

Pete,

No offense taken here mate. To each his own way to satisfaction

A praire dog is different than what we call a gopher. Gophers are smaller and prairie dogs are about the size of small rabbbits. The Prairie dogs I am familiar with are probably a little larger than what AJ described.

As far as... "that looks about like 700 yds and about 5 mph wind", I have never met a person yet that could consistantly guesstimate yardage correctly (+ or - 25 yds) past 300 yds, especially in uneven terrain when not all of the fore is visible. When I got a lazer range finder, I found out how poor a range guesstimater I really was. Borrow one sometime and chalenge yourself.

If your skills are good enough to estimate range and bullet performance at 500 yds or better, for first shot accuracy, you are truely an amazing person. Otherwise, taking long shots equates to shooting and hoping, and if you are fairly good, by the second or third shot you will connect.

I once mis-estimated a bow shot on a nice antelope buck by 7 yds (30 vs the actual 37) and the arrow went directly below the chest.

So my satisfaction comes in learning the art and science of LR shooting, doing the load development, practicing and coming proficient and making a good shot.

Regards,

-MR
Old 07-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the link AJ.
Actually, if you whacked a pair of long ears on them, they wouldn't be that far removed from our rabbit.
Nice to see you back Montana.
You know me, no offence ever taken here - this is a great site and I throw things like this up not only to get a reaction, but you also get to see how other people from other locations think about the same issues.
I did buy a laser rangefinder a couple of years ago to use on measuring fence lines would you believe. That is only accurate to 400 - 500 yards.
However, I have been actually shooting in a range card for my 308 (I think I mentioned this before) and have found that I am now much better at estimating range than ever before. That was one of those side issues that I hadn't expected. (This exercise was done in the back paddocks on my farm, not on a range.)
You are quite right though about estimating range, can be fickle at times. What has helped me a hell of a lot with improving my shooting techniques though, was a book I bought from the US of A called "The Ultimate Sniper." Not at all interested in shooting people obviously, but there are a lot of tecniques in there for range estimation, wind, topography, breathing and sighting that have been absolutely marvellous.
Anyway, better go and do some work, not raining today.
Cheers guys,

Pete.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

"As for bow hunting, I used to do a bit of that, but tried stalking a kangaroo in a heavy (and high ) cereal crop years ago and found I just couldn't handle the stress. Probably because I have been attacked by kangaroos twice - the second time resulted in hospitalisation which wasn't really great."

JMO, but......i dont think you should be picking fights anywhere if cant whip a "roo" AJ