Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Computer problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2004, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Computer problems

It's a love hate thing, that's for sure!

Thanks Dave.
I would never have noticed it myself, but my wife told me you could see it was still on with the light up close to it, sure enough. I'll take it over and see what the experts can do for me.

I had been noticing that the display would flicker when the screen would wiggle back and forth, might just be a connection problem is all. I thought of taking it apart to see if I could clean it, and it needs it, but I think I'll have it checked out this time.

Len,
You may be right, little bedding compound on a connector might just do the trick! Sometimes, I think my wife would like to put a nice layer across my keybord and close it!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'm not quite frustrated enough to shoot it... yet, but it's beggin for it.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:24 AM
Gold Member

Brent;

Just leave your PO Box number so we can keep you up to date. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

db
Old 04-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Silver Member

Brent,

The laptop in my work truck went belly up a while back. No big thing, just a couple of the drivers went south. I've had the same problem, with my home PC a couple of times. Just reinstall the drivers and you are up and running in less than 30 minutes.

So I called the computer Guru's and asked for the driver CD. No dice, they said I needed administrative clearance. So they called the local "communications Expert" I like the old man, but he hired in 30 years ago to fix VHF radios and he hates computers. He promptly yanked it out of the truck and said it'd have to go to Phoenix to "reimage" the hard drive.

"It should be back in a couple of days" he said. Thankfully, I insisted on getting the spare laptop. He sent the old one in just before Valentines day and I haven't seen it since. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

The old one ran about 56.6k on the modem. This new one probably doesn't hit a 14 connection. Programs close in the middle of being used and the things locks up for hours at a time, for no reason at least once a day.

I wish you better luck than I've had getting a laptop repaired.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

DB,
My wife's computer works, really slow is all... needs windows reinstalled. Been a month or so since the last clean install, but windows ME sucks, I need XP for it too.
I'll watch the mail. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Tim,
Sounds simple, if I could see what's on the screenin order to reinstall the drivers, Brian's going to hook it up to his monitor today and see if he can get a picture. Hooking it up to my wife's monitor it didn't work, but he said I may have had the screen setting on the monitor set wrong is all???

I've got an S vidio cable to hook it into the TV, but the end that plugs to the laptop is slightly different. I'd be stylin with a 55" monitor... can't take that to the range with the Oehler 43 though. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If I can get an external monitor to work I'll reload the drivers and see what happens, appreciate the tip, Tim.

I hope you computer wasn't a Gateway brand!

This laptop had a slower connection than the desktop PC too, I got about 40 and the wife's about 51k speed, different modem was all I could ever find, both internal speeds were set to the same.

Good luck getting the old puter back! My wife's locks up, runs slow, won't run scan disk or defrag, a royal pain in the arse! I'm lucky if I can send this reply successfully!