Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Computer problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2004, 04:33 AM
Platinum Member

Computer problems

Well, the laptop was on today, probably downloaded the email too, but when I came home the screen was just black. I can just barely see images on the screen with a light held up to it, but not enough to see the pointer or read anything on it. I've got no idea what's wrong with it, but to those that emailed me today (3-30), I don't know when I'll be able to read the mail again.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:27 AM
PUBLISHER

Re: Computer problems

I'm no computer expert but I think you have problems with the bedding around the lug. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 03-31-2004, 05:40 AM
Platinum Member

Brent

Some models have a little light strip that back lights the display, sounds like that light strip has failed or lost power. About a year ago I had a Toshiba that did the same thing, had it fixed under warranty.

The LCD is fine as you can barely see but the light is burned out, an inexpensive repair I believe.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Brent,
Haven't you been jerked around by computers in the past? Hasn't a computer caused you to waste a bunch of time, total frustration, no idea what in hell is wrong and why it is doing what it is doing? For example, haven't you ever wasted three hours trying to print labels - then read the damn book and found out that the program does not print labels! Haven't you ever had to get a ten-year old kid to fix something on your computer? Way down deep, don't you hate the frigging things?

Here is your chance... Hang that sucker on your target frame at 1000 yards and give it a tune-up with some 300 grain Matchkings, any one of your big boomers would do a great job [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Just whistful thinking, hope you get it fixed quickly and cheaply.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:14 AM
Bronze Member

Ian, just think how fustrated he'll be if he misses [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2004, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Brent

No problem!

After about 20 years of being a computer geek I've seen a lot of things.

BTW, three things I know about computers for certain;

1) They can sense fear!

2) They run on smoke! If the smoke ever gets out the computer will stop working. I've been eye witness to this happening.

3) There would be a lot less computer problems if the keyboard (now termed "human intervace device") had not been invented.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Yep, you've got 'em figured out. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Well, looks like the warranty says it's got to go on a trip to Texas for repair or replacement. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Glad I still had the warranty, thought it had expired but I lucked out with a 3 year deal.

The guy at the computer shop asked if I had a warranty on it still, said he charged $250 minimum just to crack one of them there laptops open! I called tech support and shipping cost was $40, everything else is covered. Brian said they'd more than likely loose all my data and ship me a new computer instead of fix the 2 year old unit. I yanked the hard drive so he could back it up for me! Should have something back in a week or two, so they say...

Thanks for the tips! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]