Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Compulsary Purchase Order

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-27-2005, 06:17 AM
Gold Member
Compulsary Purchase Order

Hi Guys,
I no that this has got nothing to do with shooting but alot to do with your rights.
Does your government operate Compulsary Purchase Orders?
By this i mean that if the Authorities want construct a new developrment and your home(which you own) is in the middle of this proposed developement, do they have the right to kick you out of your home with what can only described financial compensation?

An 84 year old man who has lived in his house for 70 years has been told by to local government officers to sell his house to developers or face a compulsary purchase order.
He said he will not go but when the CPO is enforced he will be removed by force if needed.

I am just curious to know what would happen in the USA under these circumstances.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Unread 09-27-2005, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member
Re: Compulsary Purchase Order

In the USA it is called "imminent domain" At first it was used to forcibly take land for gov't projects such as roads, reservoirs, etc. It is now being used to take private land that will be sold or given to another private developer.

The "taking" of a person's residential home so that it can be torn down and a shoping mall built is extremely controversial but is occurring.

The person is compensated based upon an assessemetn of the current fair market value (I think) not any future value.
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Unread 09-27-2005, 09:16 AM
Gold Member

I have family currently going through these issues. The city of Oklahoma City has decided their home (of more than 20 years) would better serve the public as a park.
For more information on current law, and how your government is abusing it have a look here:

Personally, there is a scene in the movie American Outlaws that pretty well articulates my feelings on the matter.
If you haven't seen the movie, heres a brief recap of the scene.
The railroad men show up at a farm house, and inform the older female landowner that its time to sell or else... as her armed sons stand on the porch around her. After she realizes how serious the situation is, she says "let me ask the lord" then lowers her head in prayer. After a few uh huhs, she raises her head, smiles and says " he says we can bury them out in the orchard, nobody will ever find them"

If the law doesn't change before too long, I believe there are going to be a lot of people willing to "go to war with the railroad"
Unread 09-27-2005, 10:33 AM

As BB so stated, the term is called "Imminant Domain" and it's something you'll be seeing a lot more of. Here's a hint, keep your eyes peeled toward "Naahlans: aka New Orleans. This will be the a field day for the rich! The sad thing is the dems are as crooked as the repubs so who's to stop them now? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] In the end when the people wise up, (if ever) you'll see it was always about the rich and poor not political affiliations.
Unread 09-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Crosshare is right.. I have already heard of "venture capitalists" making plans to buy up blocks of property for nothing and when the govt rebuild the levy's and dikes and makes the area more safe they will come in and build what they want..
Unread 09-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Bronze Member

My friend had a business in the same spot for 24 years the propriety was his free and clear. four years ago they sent him his propriety tax bill and it was $235 less then the year before he thought that was great then the third year it went down another $104 then the next year $217 less this year they told him they were taking his land and paying him $69,000 for the propriety, he had it appraised and it was appraised at $98,000 for just the propriety the building was appraised at $195,000, They based their price on the propriety tax amount and since he had not contested the amount they said he had excepted their value.

When we loose the right to our private propriety we are no longer citizens but subjects and no longer owners of private propriety but renters.
Unread 09-27-2005, 11:40 PM
Silver Member

Happens in Spain too. Some friends had their farm split in two by Madrids newish ring road (M45). They eventually negociated a fairish price and that the constructors HAD to build in connecting tunnels.

There is also a pretty INFAMOUS set of laws active in the Valencia region that gained coverage as it hit the British Ambassadors private residence - this allowed PRIVATE developers to more or less do the same - there are of coure suspicions of bribes etc!.