Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Cold weather dress...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Nyles....all you gotta do is run down to the Harley shop and order some of that 12 volt heated clothing. Then stop off at wally world for one of those little 12 volt jump starters with a 12 volt outlet. I havent tried it, but have a buddy that swears by it. He claims the little booster box will last 5 hours and fits in his back pack.....I think the clothing only comes in black but maybe you can get some tassles. I wouldnt suggest wadin wolly swamp wearin it though
Old 01-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member

ABC. Anything But Cotton. I wear light layers of polyester blend garments topped with a Carhart hip length coat or Carhart coveralls as needed. Keep that plumbers crack covered and you'll be warmer. That UnderArmor stuff is like wearin silk pantys, they'll keep ya warm too til ya sweat. More marketing hocus pocus.
Good wool blend sox are cheaper now since more cos are making them. Stay away from 100% poly and 100% wool clothing. Get the blends, you'll be warmer and dryer all day/night long. Woolrich has lots of blends now.

Good luck.

NRA Life Member
Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Gold Member

Eddybo ,

Thats funny but probably would work however to much crap to tote! You need to come up and hunt HILLSIDE with me next year on the M/L. Get a idea how far we walkin in and how much crap we totin! Wonder if NASA has any used space suits I could get?

One thing for all on cold feets, well they sweat too! but I have that beat. I used to really get cold feet bad get down out of the tree bad....Went a had a blow-out on my rubbers one morning so off to get a new pair. I asked for a size 12 800 gram insulated.....Girl looked at me said you get cold feet I says "yea BAD!" She says you at least a 13 non-insulated, tried em on I said "lil loose" over to the wool socks she says put these on...got a pretty good fit...Any way to make this short ended up with a size 13 un-insulated neoprene rubber boots...never got cold feet since! She says problem #1 wrong socks problem #2 too tight #3 to much insulation sweaty feet.

I've worn my alfa sport burly's noinsulation all year down into the 20's walked a mile to my stand no sock change been fine not even a nip at the feet. Ive done this for about 4 years now and the nons are alot lighter than a insulated.

I understand that in some colder places this combo will have to change but I know the three rules to warm feet!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

No worries now....MS weather is back. You will still break a sweat.....but now it will not be freezing on you I have matured into a box blind hunter on those rare 20 degree mornings we get. (turning into a wuss) I have actually had better luck overlooking alfalfa fields in cold weather, than actually hunting. Seems like mature bucks dont mind grabbing a few nibbles of alfalfa during daylight hours. How is your season going? We dont have big deer or as many deer down here in SWMS but I got these two. Both were mature enough and I got to shoot one at semi long range 488 yards.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Gold Member

Layer Up

Got a sale flyer in the mail today from Cabelas.
On page 7 is a jacket I've been using as part of my layering. Very light weight and you will find it hard to believe how warm it is.
Comes with a stuff sack, takes up less room than say a foot ball. Can be used at nite for a pillow.
MicroDown is effective even when wet, haven't tested that out, yet. This, I wear under my last layer. The shell is a ripstop material that is rugged. I had one of these for years and was in pretty sad shape when it came up MIA. She never did fess up, but I know where it went. I was finally able to replace it last year. This is $60 bucks you will never regret spending.
Page 60, same catalog "Visa Endurance Compression Top and Bottoms. Haven't tried the bottoms but the tops work super, used them on three hunts, plus here at home. They will move the moisture away from you in a hurry. Don't like them tight, order the next size larger. A good deal for $20 bucks.
Page 91. Had one of these pullovers for years, til that too hit the rag pile. Replaced it with the uninsulsted full-zip jacket. This is my outer layer. Great wind breaker plus rain gear.
This will keep me comfortable with layering and shedding as needed to 20-30*.
Tree stand hunting, where my ony only activity is getting there--out comes my parka and bibs.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Gold Member

Eddybo,

I swear I will never own up to saying this but stop shootin the 8's! Two nice bucks you got there but if you got any control over the place your huntin man let live just 1 more year....No control? Bust thier butts! Will give it to ya though both look a tad bigger than my 4 bucks for this year! not much but yours edge em out!

philny1,

Ill be checking that stuff out! Thanks!