Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

**** cold bore groups****

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

**** cold bore groups****

I have been reading posts concerning barrel cool down. Several members when trying for groups do it differently, some let the barrel cool down and some shoot fowler shots. I personally shoot 2 fowler shots then I commence to shooting my groups. I understand that everyday befor climbimg into my stand I don't shoot fowlers which brings up my question has anyone ever tried to shoot one shot per day at say 100 or 200 yards for 4 or 5 days just to see what their group would look like? Sounds crazy but I thought it would be interesting to see the outcome I would have done this myself already and then shared the results but I don't have access at my residence to do such a thing.

BIGBUCK
Old 09-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: **** cold bore groups****

A single shot fired once a day for several/many days at various distances is only way, in my considered opinion, determine system accuracy.

The system being the earth, metro conditions, rest, load, bullet and self plus some other things.

This isn't a crazy idea. Many shooters do it. Via this method one learns the rifle very well.

Having said all of that, I doubt it makes a squat, other than confidence under 500-600 yards.

Around teh 1k mark its a must.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

On my hunting rifle that's all I care about is a cold bore shot. I'll shoot one time a day for 3 or 4 mornings and get it right where I want it.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
has anyone ever tried to shoot one shot per day at say 100 or 200 yards for 4 or 5 days just to see what their group would look like?

I the last time I did that was with my Eddystone (peep sight.) The 3 shot group was 6 3/8" at 300 yards.

I usually only shoot one shot a day from one of my rifles unless I am developing a load. Today it was 200 yards with the, (peep sighted,) Springfield; I nicked the 12oz bottle... It still exploded though.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 09-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Depends completely on the rifle----mine move Very Little if any and that condition varies from clean to fouled, hot or cold. The Kriegers and Broughtons just do not move much on any of the rifles I own.

Factory tubes all bets are off---- when I used to shoot factory tubes I always left the tube fouled after checking zero for the season.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
I always left the tube fouled after checking zero for the season.
I agree completely. That's good advice and procedure for most to follow.

Last edited by phorwath; 09-20-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
A single shot fired once a day for several/many days at various distances is only way, in my considered opinion, determine system accuracy.

The system being the earth, metro conditions, rest, load, bullet and self plus some other things.

This isn't a crazy idea. Many shooters do it. Via this method one learns the rifle very well.

Having said all of that, I doubt it makes a squat, other than confidence under 500-600 yards.

Around teh 1k mark its a must.
" Around the 1k mark it's a must" Can you explain? Also what has your groups looked like compared to shooting say 2 fowlers then your 5 shot group?

Thanks

BIGBUCK

Last edited by bigbuck; 09-21-2009 at 08:51 AM.