Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Cleaning Solvents/ Bore Damage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

Cleaning Solvents/ Bore Damage

I didnt want to steal Bwaites thread on "how long after do you clean" but I am curious has anyone on the forum experienced bore damage from cleaning solvents? What were you using? Had you been "soaking" the bore? Is "soaking the bore something that alot of you do? Or something that alot of you avoid?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Cleaning Solvents/ Bore Damage

I don't typically leave anything in the barrel for to long. The one thing I leave in there the longest is Kroil and if it were in there an hour that would be a long time.

Oh wait, I do leave the Wipeout in there overnight.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

I've damaged bores with Barnes CR10. It's got a high concentration of ammonia. Any bore cleaner with ammonia can corrode your bore if left in there too long. The ammonia based bore cleaners need to be swabbed out and followed up with a cleaner and lubricating oil of some type. I've even corroded a stainless steel bore with Barnes CR10. Wanna buy some CR10?

When the ammonia containing bore cleaner starts to evaporate, the ammonia is a moisture attractor, and thus the corrosion to the bore. My non-stainless bore was nasty looking. I corroded it terribly, however it still shoots pretty darn good for a factory tube.

The original bottle of Barnes CR10 I purchased didn't have a warning on it about maximum dwell time in the bore. I still have the container. It also stated it was completely safe for bores. NOT. I really etched the bore on a Win M70 featherweight in 7mm Mauser big-time, and learned the hard way. The 2nd bottle of Barnes CR10 I bought did contain the warning on the label about too long of dwell times in the bore, and I didn't have any more problems one I became aware of the risks/issue.

I don't really use any ammonia based cleaners any more. The damage was too costly for me. Use Hoppes Ultra Gun cleaner to get rid of the carbon, and Wipeout for any copper if you can afford to leave the Wipeout in their overnight. Neither will damage your bores. I don't even use any brass brushes. Maybe a nylon brush ocassionally. Mostly just run cotton patches down the bore.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

I see that both of you use "wipe out" what is your opinion on wipe out compared to other cleaners?
Old 11-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

I like Wipeout. I use it with a Lucas Bore guide placed into the action which prevents the foam from getting back into the action area. Spray the foam into the bore and let it set overnight. Swab the bore out the next day with a couple patches and you're done.

If you don't need to get the copper out immediately, like during a shooting competition, then I say it's about the easiest way to get the copper out of your bores I've come across.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

Thats excellent I'll have to try some soon. thx
Old 11-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
what is your opinion on wipe out compared to other cleaners?
I like it but I don't use it exclusively. Tetras has been very good to me and it seem to work well on copper and carbon. Kroil is my favorite for general use but doesn't work on copper.