Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Classified scammers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2004, 07:45 PM

Classified scammers

Hello all
Just wanted to throw this out there. I had some stuff posted on the classifieds and got this email for someone overseas wanting to buy an item. Well he gives story of friend in the states owes him money and he will send me an outrageous amount as he has to send everything so as not to hold up transaction. I keep the funds for me and the rest is for the shipper who will come pick up the item. He has the proper licenses supposedily. Yes it was a firearm. Well it did not sound right to start. Well long story short turns out there is a lot of overseas scammers out there that buy the time you get the certified check and go to the bank which for the most part dont have any problem cashing since certified. Well after about a week the bank ends up calling you back wanting there money back cause the certified check turns out to be a FRAUD. So now you end up oweing the bank back all the money and more than likely you are out the item to. Just watch out folks cause there are some bad apples out there.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Classified scammers

It's a scam. I'll see if I can dig up the articles about these guys.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Classified scammers

I was contacted at my locksmith business by telephone via the TDD service for the hearing impared. I was to assume that the person was deaf or that they spoke a different language.

The person wanted to buy 2 dozen electromechanical locks that run about $500-$600 each. They said that they didn't care about the color or style. They just wanted it sent ASAP.

They asked for my businesses Email address and they contated it with a mailing address and a credit card number.

The address was in NIGERIA.

Red flags were going up like a parade in Moscow Russia so we called the nice people at the credit card company. They told my wife that the holder of that card and their bank would be notified immeadiately of the problem. Then they told my wife that anything coming out of Nigeria was fraud and/or identity theft. My wife said " well isn't it possible that someone in nigeria really wanted to buy this product?" The person on the phone laughtd and said "Honey, everything being bought by card to Nigeria is fraud."

We refused replies to our scoundrel Emailer who went away after only one ignored request for response.

We contacted all the locksmiths in the area and our 3 major suppliers to alert them to the problem. 3 other locksmith companies had the same contact and thanked us for the info.

The "Nigerians" tried the same scam in our area a month later. Same call different name.

Be careful when having oversea dealings with unknown entities. If it is a rush to complete the transaction that is a sign that you are being hoodwinked.