Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Chronographs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 09:32 AM

Chronographs

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, so if the site admin feel it should be elsewhere then please feel free to move this post to the appropriate section.

I wish to purchase a chronograph in order to test and develop my reloaded ammunition for my 17rem, .243 and 6.5X55.

What I'm looking for is a mid price range chronograph that will give me consistent and reliable data when used in a outdoor environment with natural sunlight. As I only have access to an outdoor range.

It would need to work with as wide a spread of lighting conditions as possible due to the vagaries of the uk weather.We don't get that many bright, cloudless sunny days during the year. So ideally the chronograph will be able to cope this less than ideal conditions.

Any recommendations based upon personal usage would be extremely useful. As I need to get my selection right first time as I only have the funds available to buy once.

Atb

Stan
Old 11-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Chronographs

If he does not answer this post, I would PM site member " Phorwath" He has multipul chronographs in line and has done more testing with them than anyone I know. Chronographs are not all created equal , and I have a few that will lie to me on occation. It was not until I bought an Oehler that I placed any trust in them for important things like ES or a true velocity for a ballistic program.

I feel I do not have the info you need about your special lighting and this is why I recommend you talk to Paul. He has helped me before and he know what he is talking about from first hand experiences.

Jeff
Old 11-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGunner View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, so if the site admin feel it should be elsewhere then please feel free to move this post to the appropriate section.

I wish to purchase a chronograph in order to test and develop my reloaded ammunition for my 17rem, .243 and 6.5X55.

What I'm looking for is a mid price range chronograph that will give me consistent and reliable data when used in a outdoor environment with natural sunlight. As I only have access to an outdoor range.

It would need to work with as wide a spread of lighting conditions as possible due to the vagaries of the uk weather.We don't get that many bright, cloudless sunny days during the year. So ideally the chronograph will be able to cope this less than ideal conditions.

Any recommendations based upon personal usage would be extremely useful. As I need to get my selection right first time as I only have the funds available to buy once.

Atb

Stan
Buy a Pact and be done with it. Half the price of an Ohler and the difference in accuracey is little if any.
gary
Old 11-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

I have a Pro Chrono and an Ohler 35. I get just about identical results out of both. For 119 bucks for the PC you cant go wrong.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I have a Pro Chrono and an Ohler 35. I get just about identical results out of both. For 119 bucks for the PC you cant go wrong.
If you only had the Pro Chrono, how would you ever know if you were getting reliable data? With the Oehler 35P, don't you get two velocity readings for each shot fired? Which means you have some means of verifying the recorded velocities are valid?
Old 11-25-2011, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
If you only had the Pro Chrono, how would you ever know if you were getting reliable data? With the Oehler 35P, don't you get two velocity readings for each shot fired? Which means you have some means of verifying the recorded velocities are valid?
Yes, you do get two readings. Out of several hundred shots, I think I have had the Oehler throw out two or three shots because of too big a difference between the two channels. In these cases, my set up was in broken shade/ sunlight, or a low sun position, but didn't have much choice to change my set up at the range. I likely would have omitted, or be suspect of these readings on my own with any unit. Don't get me wrong, the Oehler is a nice Chronograph and comes complete with very nice stands, printer, a dual channels, etc., but if you use good practices, both work . The thing is, I didn't realize that the Pro Chrono was a good unit until I used the Oehler. I get very similiar results out of both of my units.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
I have to give you credit when credit is due! You at least took the time to prove out your ideas, and also find errors that few would have ever known about. But alas I have learned (and in some cases finally remembered) about testing that would make a difference. Well maybe.

It takes a minimum of three identical items to conduct a test, and set a standard. Of course you only had one of each (not your fault of course). Then you can compair them one to one and develope a standard point. But of course you'd have had to taken out a second mortgage to get this done<g>. And I think you did the best you could do with what you had to work with, so my hats off to you.

I said Pact because of the cost of the investment alone. I found the difference in accuracey was nill, and in the end one still never knew which one was correct, or if either one was correct. (once again not anybody's fault). I have yet to see any chronograph that I thought was perfect. The mounts and stuff on the Ohler leave a lot to be desired. The distance between the screens on the Pact ae too close in my book. Then the others are a distant third place. If you want an Ohler, then buy one! What I'd rather do would be to try a bunch of them on the sameday at about the sametime. Anyway a quarter of one percent at 3500 fps means very little to me as long as things are constent.
gary