Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Chronographed my loads oh no....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 01:46 PM
JEREMY logan

Chronographed my loads oh no....

For starters i've never used a chronograph until the other day. I have what i call a good load @ 100 yrds you can cover up my three shot group with a dime. Not the best but good for me and my rifle . I shoot a 300 rum. Now that i've found what I call a good load i decided to set up the chronograph and shoot a 10 shot string. Here is what I come up with average muzzle velocity was 2964 E.S. 53.64 S.D. 16.27 from what i've read these numbers want shoot at extended range 800 to 1300 yrds will they? What do I do next?

Old 06-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Chronographed my loads oh no....

Jeremy- read this thread again. Do all your testing with the chrono. You want an SD of 6fps or less. To get that you'll need an ES in the low teens. Some may argue with this but I'd consider it sound advice based on where I received it. You can do it. Load up some ammo, go shoot, and post your data. This place is a great resource and you'll get lots of help deciphering your results.

**sd and es load advice**
Old 06-01-2009, 02:04 PM
JEREMY logan

Thanks for the help again jmason
Old 06-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

What is your load?

I like to work up loads using a ladder over a chrony, so I know where my chosen load lays within the range of possible loads. You could shoot a ladder over the chrony and see how it looks.

OR, if you were happy about your load prior to using the chrony, you could put the chrony in the closet until you burn the barrel out and need to work up another load.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 06-01-2009, 02:17 PM
JEREMY logan

AJ my load is 88 grains of h-1000 fed. 215m primer topped with one sweeeet little 210 grain berger. JMASON will my chrony give me the average MV and ES /SD? shooting 3 shot groups or is it just 10 shot strings that it will do that.

Last edited by JEREMY logan; 06-01-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Yes it will. What kind do you have? If you don't know how to get that info out of your chrony just write it down and use Excel. You should get 2 or more charge (powder) weights in a row that are uniform (good ES) depending on how big the steps in the charges are. The bigger the steps, the fewer individual charge weights(3 shot groups) that will be uniform.

Once you find a charge weight range that's giving you some uniformity, confirm it with a 5 or 10 shot string of the same charge weight. Once you get this far, If you really enjoy tinkering, you can change your seating depth or primers to try to make it better. This will likely force you to yet again adjust your charge weight.

Or simply call it a load and enjoy life. If you get to where you have an SD of 6 or less and you're getting decent accuracy I'd call it a load because if your like me the rifle/load combo will shoot better than you can.

BTW, AJ has also given you good advise but I would consider his methods "advanced" in that he can clearly and concisely interpret his own results. I still sometimes struggle with it. What I'm telling you to do will cause you more shooting but will leave less Grey area for interpretation. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you're there.

Last edited by jmason; 06-01-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:10 PM
JEREMY logan

(two or more uniform powder charges in a row) give me an example of what the numbers should look like say for example 3000 fps 3000 fps and 3000 fps would be perfect right. What should i see if i were watching the fps only?