Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

cheney incident

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2006, 10:55 AM
SPONSOR

Re: cheney incident

I think we should petition our congressmen for a bill that would allow people who have passed certain intelligence tests or proven through various actions not to be stupid a 3 stupid person bag limit per year. Sure would make people stop acting so stupid, knowing they might get a cap in their @$$!!! I'm pretty sure I would use mine in Jan. every year, if of course I didn't get shot first [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 02-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

Now, when all the spin is finished, he still shot a companion hunter, and he's embarassed (and he should be) and has yet to confront the Media with his explanations, which are necessary.

The bird stamp issue is bs, he paid $125 so the regulation was changed about the same tme he bought the license, apparently several months ago, last year? If he knew, he would have paid seven dollars more.

But, he got this guy pretty good, made a nice pattern on the left side of his upper chest. A major mistake.

However, the guy had exited the vehicle and downed a bird. He searched for the bird while Cheney and another hunter went down the road a distance from the vehicle. So, the lawyer found his bird and walked up behing the other two without letting them know he was approaching. That's not as serious as Cheney's mistake, but it's a contributing factor.

The "media" will be all over this incident. Cheney doesn't need it, the victim doesn't need it, and hunters don't need it. But, the media loves it. Makes you wonder what motivates them? Pure news value? Or, spoon feeding the masses, their own agenda? I think I know the answer?

Good hunting. LB
Old 02-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Silver Member

The power of shotguns is not fully appreciated by many. To those thinking a 28 ga. doesn't "pack a punch" here is a comparison of the data with a 44 mag 240 gr. I have to use grams for bullet/shot wt. to have equal units of measurement

28 ga. 1295 fps muz vel 21.26 gms. (shot wt.)

44 Mag. 1210 fps muz vel 15.55 gms. (240 gr.)

The 28 ga. moves a 1/3 heavier load faster. Obviously there are some important differences, most important being how many of the actual shot pellets impacted the person, which has not been reported anywhere that I have seen. A 28 ga. is potentially a very lethal weapon within 30 yards. The size of the shotgun round - i.e. 12 vs. 20 vs. 28 vs. 410 - only effects the number of pellets contained in the load, it does not effect the size of the pellet or the velocity. Next issue is the shot size and impact areas. 7 1/2 shot as is commonly used for quail hunting has significant penetration potential.

Next, having some vague knowledge of the Armstrong ranch, I would make an educated guess these are wild birds, not some of the pen raised chicken hunt type of thing.

The Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept. incident report is available online. Both the shooter and the victim were wearing orange hats and vests which makes this even more inexplicable.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Varmint Hunter, not true about Pheasant Preserves. I've hunted in your state and the season runs from September to end of March on Pheasant preserves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hootershooter,

I think that you are technically correct on the "preserve" season. The closing date is actually flexible depending on a variety of conditions. I should have said that a preserve shoot would not be limited to the regular hunting season dates.

Nice catch. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Silver Member

Guys,
I just had to get in on this one. With the media the way it is, what probably happened was this. They scared up a quail, and it took a nasty skat on the mans shoulder. Then it all got twisted and turned around to be some other tragedy to bash our vp.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

Leonard
I just can't resist that one.

[ QUOTE ]
The bird stamp issue is bs, he paid $125 so the regulation was changed about the same tme he bought the license, apparently several months ago, last year? If he knew, he would have paid seven dollars more.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the same line I always give to the Highway Patrol. "I have a drivers license, my vhicle is properly registered, I got the best tires money can buy and aftermaket brakes and suspension. You shouldn't give me a ticket just becuase I was 32 mph over the speed limit."

It hasn't ever worked yet for me. Still about $100 to $150 a pop depending on what state I'm in.

Of course there was a small period of time when I couldn't truthfuly say I had a drivers license. Damn computers transfered the points in.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Silver Member

Don't get me wrong, Bob. I'm not defending the guy. If he is fined, I could care less. But, when you walk in and ask for a nonres lic. you are sort of dependant on the guy writing the ticket to define the license and collect the fee.

My case in point is that I was in Texas, hog, sheep and coyote hunting in late October. My license was $50. I paid what they said it cost, that's it. Now, they are saying that Cheney bought his license in September and he paid $125. It looks like he made an honest effort to pay the going rate, at a time when the reg. was changing; whereas you intentionally(?) exceeded the posted speed limit by 32MPH. Not a good comparison, IMO.

Good hunting. LB