Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

cheney incident

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: cheney incident

Dave King is correct. The VP did have his nonresident hunting license ($125), but did not have the stamp. He had requested all appropriate paperwork, but the folks at the ranch dropped the ball.

Anyone remember when Bubba aka Clinton was President and he bragged about shooting ducks in Arkansas (trying to look pro-? Some checking was done which turned up the fact that he had never had a hunting license or duck stamp. That made him either a liar or a poacher. The mainstream media wouldn't even give it the time of day.

Make no mistake, the mainstream news media is ANYTHING but objective. They have a liberal agenda and seek to influence public opinion by the way in which they report "news". Well, I'll get off my soapbox now before I get too lathered up!

NRA Life Member
Old 02-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Silver Member

I look at this incident a little different. IMO Cheny shot a fellow hunter because he was careless. It is not the victims fault unless he looked like a quail flying. The shot penetrated which is a little more than peppering in my book. He failed to report it in a timely manner and it wouldn't be national news if he wasn't the VP. Of course if he wasn't the VP he would have some serious fines to pay and should loose his license privileges. No sympathy from me as Cheny violated the basic rules of safe gun handling and would not be welcome to hunt with me.

Don't construe those opinions to be some personal attack or lack of support on him as the VP.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:52 AM

I also look at this a bit differently and have no idea what kind of slant the TV media is putting on this event since I don't watch that crap. I appreciate the fact that Cheney is a hunter, but on the other hand it concerns me a great deal that the man shot a fellow hunter for whatever "reason". A .28 gauge quail load doesn't pack a whole lot of punch so far as I know and for those pellets to penetrate to near the heart means the guy had to be pretty close. This isn't the distant peppering some of you compared it to - it had to be a close range breech of a prime rule of firearms safety.

I'm not anti-Cheney but when the man next in line to take the presidential role performs a blatant act of carelessness, that concerns me. Cheney has had his share of medical hardships, heart difficulties can certainly effect the thinking process. Maybe it's time he consider his career options.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:57 AM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]
A .28 gauge quail load doesn't pack a whole lot of punch so far as I know and for those pellets to penetrate to near the heart means the guy had to be pretty close.

[/ QUOTE ]

The shot didn't penetrate his heart. It probably penetrated the superior vena cava and was then deposited into the heart. I'm not supporting the guy, I think they should have lined him up @ about 30 yds and pepper his @$$!!! Stupid, careless people annoy me, no matter their political status.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

My post was cut short for unknown reasons. I think my internet connection hickuped.

Anyway, what I was saying was that the correspondents were upset they didn't have the story in time for their upcoming nightly deadline. BIg deal. It was 16 hours later. They tried making it sound like they hid the information from them.

Well, I can say I would rather watch ice skating or heaven forbid, American Idol instead of those liberal, bone head news shows again. The only reason they made such a big deal of it is becuase the Bush administration was involved (which they hate) and it involved guns and hunting (which they hate even worse) and the story eluded them for a few hours.

I for one, am glad that we have a vice pres that enjoys the hunting sports and does it on his own time on his own accord and not just when the cameras are on him during a campaign.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Bronze Member

Varmint Hunter, not true about Pheasant Preserves. I've hunted in your state and the season runs from September to end of March on Pheasant preserves. No license is required. However in other states it is required. I myself did not know this and almost hunted in NJ without a license. I did however call a NJ license agent and was told the rules, so I purchased the proper license.

My point is not to correct you, just to point out that hunting regs are different all over for different game and I think the media making a big deal of the $7 stamp is nothing but a bunch of garbage. Dave King pointed out that its a new reg and many people are unaware.

Clearly the media was going to make a big deal of this, and frankly they would have made the same big deal if it was Al Gore. What gets me angry is the spins they put on it such as the stamp and the fact that he is on the pro-gun side doesn't help. But, lets be honest, if it was Al Gore the NRA would come out with a statement about him being too busy trying to get rid of guns to learn proper safety. Or something like that.

I do however think that the VP's safety standards are lacking, and I wouldn't hunt with him either! Also, why was the guy in front of him to begin with? I always hunted birds in a line when I'm with others.

[ QUOTE ]
Stupid, careless people annoy me, no matter their political status.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% right on!
Old 02-15-2006, 10:37 AM
SPONSOR

I am glad to have anyone in a position of power in our county enjoying the outdoors sports.

I do think he acted like a jackass though, I have had a few mishaps in my hunting career and I know that 99% of them werent accidents, they were me or other people being stupid!!

at least it was only a 28ga, would have been real bad if they were road huntin for coyotes!!

steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST