Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Cerakote vs Gun Kote (Matte Black or O.D. Green)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2006, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

Cerakote vs Gun Kote (Matte Black or O.D. Green)

Hey everyone, I think by know everyone knows that Kirby is building my Tactical 338 Allen Mag. The rifle is being built on an A-5 stock and the color is going to be the Woodland Camo Pattern. As of right know I am going to coat all the metal in Matte Black. However, I am also considering going with O.D. Green on all the metal. If I go with the O.D. Green, I want more of a Matte O.D. Green. Some of the O.D. Green looks to bright. I need some Ideas, I've looked at Cerakote and Gun Kote colors. If I go with the O.D. Green, on all metal, I am thinking of going with Mil Spec O.D. Green Gun Kote, this O.D. Green looks perfect in the pictures I've seen. I am just wanting to hear what you guys think about the color schemes. Also, I would like some info regarding the quality of both Cerakote and Gun Kote. Any info would be great, I have time before I have to make the final decision on the coating color. What do you guys think; Woodland Camo Pattern on stock with all Metal being coated Matte Black or Woodland Camo Pattern on stock with all Metal being coated Matte O.D. Green. If you guys have pictures, I would love to see them. Thanks guys!

Wildcat

Old 09-17-2006, 07:32 AM
Gold Member

Re: Cerakote vs Gun Kote (Matte Black or O.D. Green)

Wildcat

I use Gun Kote on some of my projects, i have not used the OD green though. I use matte black on actions, pistols,magazines, ect. It is very tough stuff and slick. The only problem i have is i dont have an oven big enough to "bake" the finish on long bbls. It requires 300deg for 1 hour. You have to rough sand blast to prepare the parts. I would have Shawn Carlock send you a pic of his Tefflon coating, its similar to the Gun Kote. I have not used any CeraKote. If i ever get time, i have the parts to build a 50" oven so i can do whole bbl actions. Sounds like your having fun with your custom project, just wait till you pull the trigger on that bad boy!

"Let the good times roll"
Old 09-17-2006, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

Hi Wildcat i would go with the Mat OD Green the mill spec one is the one i am looking at i will go with that or the Sand color with a desert camo stock. Good luck but Black is the worst color to camoflage it stands out the most so if it is only for looks black is ok but if it has to be practical stay away from black. Most of the black on military rifles gets painted over and now the minitary is ordering rifles with colored options instead of black.

Cheers Bill
Australia
Old 09-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

BD 408, Shawn will be doing the coating on my 338 Allen Mag. I believe all of Kirby's coating jobs go to Shawn. I am hoping Shawn will see this posting and let me know what he thinks, and if he uses the Gun Kote. If I go with Green, I want it to look a certain way, not bright or as they say a baby poop green. I want a Matte O.D. Green look. I am hoping someone will send some picks. Regarding pulling the trigger, I can't wait to shoot this BAD BOY. I am wondering what the kick will feel like.

Wildcat
Old 09-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

What up Bill, like I mentioned before I am currenly going with a Matte Black coating. However, I am starting to lean towards going with the O.D. Green. It has to be the right green look. I want a Matte Green look, so If I could see some pics that would be great. I saw a rifle with an A-5 stock with the Woodland Camo Pattern and all metal coated in Mil Spec O.D. Green Gun Kote. I like the Mil Spec O.D. Green Gun Kote, so I am might end up going that rout. I am waiting for Kirby's and Shawn's opinion. I still have a lot of time before I make my final decision, but I am leaning towards the Mil Spec O.D. Green Gun Kote. By the way, sorry about the Croc Hunter, I loved that guy!!

Wildcat
Old 09-18-2006, 04:06 AM
Gold Member

Hi i have not got a OD Green finish yet but i hope it will be like you want aswell. By the way the Crock Hunter was a character but a dedicated greene unfortunately he was against hunting but you cant be all the right things for all the people i feel sorry for his 2 young children and wife he left behind. I suppose it was enevitable if you play with things taht bite one will eventualy get you.

Cheers Bill
Australia
Old 09-18-2006, 06:27 AM
Sponsor

Wildcat,

Sorry it took me so long to pick this thread out. Here is an OD green with black on a 6.5-06 I did. One thing about shopping colors by different brands, the color will change slightly when it is baked from the swatch you see on their site or flyer generally it will take a bit of a brown tint to it. The 6.5-06 you see was brightened up some the standard finish is somewhat duller and not as green.

Here is the same od green not brightened. The overall look of the color also depends on what other colors are going with it.

Here is a coyote tan color on a 338 Edge

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659