Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

View Poll Results: Which colors should I use for my next rifle?
Flat Dark Earth & Coyote Tan 113 42.80%
Foliage Green & Forest Green 35 13.26%
Sniper Gray & OD Green 69 26.14%
Titanium & Flat Dark Earth 15 5.68%
Titanium & Sniper Gray 32 12.12%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Which CeraKote Colors For My Next Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 12:17 PM
PUBLISHER

Which CeraKote Colors For My Next Rifle?

A while back I had a thread that discussed colors for my next RIFLE. It used Cerakote's Virtual Coater Tool to create these color samples. I am finally getting to the task of setting up the poll based on the candidate colors that were suggested in the prior thread..

Quote:
By the way, isn't this a fantastic color selection tool? You can access it yourself at Cerakote website

I would just caution you to not choose your own Cerakote color without seeing a sample in person as your computer monitor may not show colors in a true manner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2)

3)

4)

5)

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 06-08-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:32 PM
PUBLISHER

re: Which CeraKote Colors For My Next Rifle?

Another question but not in the poll itself. Should I have a solid color stock or add a "speckle" effect with an appropriate contrasting color?

Old 06-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

My vote stays the same as the last time.

Barrel: FOLIAGE GREEN H-263

Stock: FOREST GREEN H-248

It just stands out for me, but it ain't for me. I do think if you speckled the stock with the barrel color it would defiantly look sharp though.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Len,

jmason and I come from the same neck of the woods but appear to have completely different "taste" in rifle colors.

Rifles are "painted" apparently to be pleasing to the human eye. To fit man's imagination or look cool rather than hide from the enemy (chucks, PDs, deer, elk, moose etc, which are all color blind anyway).

For the rifle, if you set it down to 'find a bush' you should have to hunt for it when you're done. This experience usually occurs only once as one quickly comes up with a fix such as a bread crumb trail or a tether.

The colors/shades should match the ecosystem in which the rifle will be used. This certainly is an advantage when the game of interest is a half mile away across a canyon.

Also this concept makes it necessary to have a different scheme for each ecosystem. Makes things easier to explain to the wife when a new rifle show appears on the scene.

Google on reticulated giraffe and use that pattern. Pretty cool if its duplicated properly.

I'm in the final stages of refinishing my red/white/blue LRH rifle. It looked nifty on the range and drew comments from hunters moving by the shooting spot but didn't fit in the sage brush when ambushing yotes.

Speckle the squat out of things. To ensure random spots or texture use the tried and true tooth brush technique (outdoors, not the wife's kitchen).
Old 06-07-2009, 03:56 AM
Gold Member

what's wrong with flat black? it seems to go with everything.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Why not way out of the box.

Took some pics after ensuring the paint job didn't affect the shooting, which it didn't.

For an experimental job I learned a bunch.......

Old 06-07-2009, 05:51 PM
PUBLISHER

Roy, please vote.