Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

CCW Holster?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

CCW Holster?

I am looking for a good CCW holster, I use it while driving alot,so what works best for driving, and maintains good comfort and functionality? Should I get a left or a right hand setup, I ask because I can shoot just as easily left or right handed?

I have seen some recommendations for these?

Crossbreed Holsters > Home
Old 06-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Gold Member

Re: CCW Holster?

fobus roto paddle holsters work strong hand , weak hand, and are easy to adjsut for "ride" when driving.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Gold Member

Search for milt sparks Ive been using their stuff for years now and will not use anything else
hand made but the wait is about 6 months
I have two more on order now.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

I started using Blackhawk holsters a couple years ago. I wear mine cross-draw style so my rifle butt doesnt ''clank'' off of it while its slung and Im walking. Ive noticed that while Im on my way to and from hunting locations and just driving around in general that wearing cross-draw doesnt interfere with a seatbelt near as bad as strong side (right side). I love my Blackhawk. Its strong side or cross-draw and fully adjustable for angle and retension tension. (that sounded weird but the tension is adjustable). I can fall off a cliff and the gun doesnt come out, but with the lightest touch of a finger I can draw fast in a pinch with my finger right alongside the trigger.
The longest strait period Ive worn them is 13 days. That covered from the rig to the back of a horse, to hunting, etc. It was like it wasnt even there. Big + for comfort.
But for every day concealment I just dont know if its ''consealable'' enough to suit your personal needs. Kinda depends on how consealed you wanna be. Give em' a look and see if you like em' or not. I know Im a big fan now.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 06-12-2010, 10:42 AM

For me it just depends on what and where i am carring, plus the pistol i am carring at that time.

My hunting is predator hunting in very heavy timber or brush most of the time, for that i use a cross draw or shoulder rig since you can't draw very quickly when sitting down with a standard hip holster and a rifle across your lap when calling. Add to that, that i may only have a say 10-30yd window to get the firearm in place before my bear or cat pops out in front or behind me.

For around town i simply use a iwb depending on the pistol, if it's a keltec pf9 or my bhp detective i use a cheap little gun mate. If it's my m&p .40 compact i may not use a holster, simply iwb. Or it may be in a inside pocket of a chore coat since i live in a rural area. So it just depends on where you live, and what you plan to carry. blue
Old 06-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

Similar to the Crossbreed: K&D Holsters | Custom Gun Leather and Shooting Accessories

It's nice to have the choice of IWB or OWB on the same holster, and tuckable is awesome. I like mine. I should note that I haven't heard anything bad about the Crossbreeds though - I doubt you could go wrong with that one.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:07 AM

It all depends on which side your strong and comfortable on. I stumbled on a site: GunHolsterPro.com. They are offering a large range of holsters you can choose from. I would recommend you to visit them too. I'm sure you'll find something meeting your requirements.