Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Cartridge Selection For Long Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 01:12 AM

Re: Cartridge Selection For Long Range

Okay say I went with a 6.5mm. What do you go with?? A 260 or the 6.5 Creedmoor? Are there many differences?
Old 04-17-2014, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408s10 View Post
Thanks so much for the suggestions it seems like so far the 284 is the most suggested. My only issue is the brass... Where can you find it?
The common practice now is to neck op 6.5/284.

I was able to get plenty.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408s10 View Post
Okay say I went with a 6.5mm. What do you go with?? A 260 or the 6.5 Creedmoor? Are there many differences?
Out of the cartridges you listed id go Creedmoor. I have one and my dad does and they are the most accurate rifles that ive seen. The Creedmoor has a shorter length so you can lengthen your bullets while still having the ability to fit in a standard 308 sized magazine. Also buy seating the bullet out longer it wont intrude on powder space giving you alittle extra room. The Creedmoor is gaining popularity very quickly. Much faster than the 260. With nosler brass now available for the Creedmoor quality brass isnt a issue. People say that a 260 is a bit faster but i couldnt tell you because i havent shot one. Im getting a 140 a-max at over 2800 fps and im not even pushing it. I could easily achieve over 2900 fps. I doubt a 260 is any faster than that(someone correct me if im wrong on that one). The 260 is a fine cartridge as well dont get me wrong, i just believe the Creedmoor has a superior design. Thats just my opinion.