Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

carrying a big rifle on a horse???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

carrying a big rifle on a horse???

hi
i was woundering if any of you have found a good way to carry a bigger than normal rifle on a horse? i am plannig a mule deer hunt for this fall that i will be rideing in on a horse, and i am trying to figure out how to carry my DE 338 edge in with me. i have been considering building a scabberd but the rifle is allmost as long as my horse. and i am not sure how to offset the extra 18lb of rifle on one side of the saddle and notheing on the other. any ideas would be great thanks michael
Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

My "big" rifle should be similar to yours. A bit smaller sounds like. I have a 27" barrell + brake. Leupold 6.5-20 with parralax on the objective (losing the side focus knob helps). Cabelas has a big scabbard made by Trail Max. They make a couple models. This one is the biggest. It's made of a pretty ridgid neoprene. My rifle fits snug with a 9-13 bipod on front. The limiting factors seem to be the bipod and the scope. I think the scabbard has room for a longer barrel. However, if you're running a Nightforce your rifle may not fit.

I have another rifle coming I believe I'll have to build a scabbard for. I saw a very simple one a while back. It was pretty much an oversived leather soft case with about a 3/4 zipper. The zipper made the rifle, with big knobs and bipod drop right out. I also think it'd be a cinch to add straps and quick clips to a drag bag.

For balance I add weight to both my cantle bags and saddle bags on the off side. The weight is bullets, spotting scope, tripod, revolver, and water. It takes a bit of consideration, but isn't difficult. You might also make your bags quick detatch so you can chuck 'em in your backpack quickly. This also allows you to weight your saddle bags unevenly without them riding that way.

Last edited by grit; 08-06-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Gold Member

Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael A. View Post
hi
i was woundering if any of you have found a good way to carry a bigger than normal rifle on a horse? i am plannig a mule deer hunt for this fall that i will be rideing in on a horse, and i am trying to figure out how to carry my DE 338 edge in with me. i have been considering building a scabberd but the rifle is allmost as long as my horse. and i am not sure how to offset the extra 18lb of rifle on one side of the saddle and notheing on the other. any ideas would be great thanks michael
Maybe ya better talk it over with the horse
Old 08-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

thanks grit

that is what i was thinking about doing i will have to build a scabbard for my rifle it has a 30" tube + break and is topped with a big nightforce i was thinking of building one bigger bag to off set my rifle and fill it with my spotting scope, rangefinder, and such. but then i got to thinking i would want all that stuff in my backpack and not all loose in a saddle bag that i would have to unload and carry to my ambush spot every time i set up. so i am trying to figure out how to mount my backpack on there with a quick betatch insted of a bag. still working on it when i get it done i will post some pics
Old 08-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

I'm interested to see what you come up with for scabbard and pack. If your day pack is the right weight, it's simple to just hang it off the horn and secure it. My other rifle should show up this month. I'll have something put together for it next month.

I don't think the 30" tube would be a problem for the scabbard metioned. However the big nightforce would be. If ya got a Cabelas nearby, I'd take a look. The scabbard is a good one, if you can use it.

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

How are you guys carrying the rifle/scabbard on the horse.

I tried under the fender but neither I nor the horse liked it.

The way we both liked best was suspended from the horn/cantel and staight down and tied to the cinch ring.

When I was in the saddle it was pretty good. When out of the saddle it left the entire butt stock from just behind the pistol grip sticking above the withers.

This wasn't bad until I had to change horses and ride the one that hesitated to cross water and let the 3 others follow as the other hunters did a bit of a walk and stalk. Needless to say, the first itty bitty stream we came to the nag I was on balked just long enough for the others to go by. The last thing I saw was Mary Jane Elizabeth lowering her head to go under some pines with my thumb hole stock sticking up like a sore thumb.

I got back to camp and no horses? Just before dark they loped into camp. The stock was still in tact. Wheeeeeuuuuuuu.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

Roy, I carry similar to how you do. I hang the scabbard on the near side, off the horn. I like a twist in the strap. I use a spring clip on the back strap and clip to the rear saddle ring. Easy on, easy off. The rifle hangs about at about a twentyfive degree angle. The barrel is under my calf to keep it stable. Hardly notice it. My scabbard covers the stock. Maybe yours is bigger'n mine! Seems everybodys is!

My hunting partner carries his low and completely horizontal on the near side. But, he aint right...