Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Caribou Hunts??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2006, 09:51 PM
SPONSOR

Caribou Hunts??

I have been BSing with dad a little lately and I may be able to talk him into one more big game hunt up north. He is still pretty pissed off about the moose hunt crap!!!!

Have any of you guys been on any caribou hunts?? I am probably looking at barren ground hunts that offer ptarmigan (sp?) and fishing as well as maybe wolf if possible. Just looking for opinions and options for guides if anyone knows anything.

thanks
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 08-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Gold Member

Re: Caribou Hunts??

Never been, but I've heard alot of good about these guys.

True North Safaris

I know of one fellow who's heading up there this Sept.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Silver Member

Lerch,

You can hunt caribou in AK w/o a guide and it'll be less $$. Most of my experience is with the Mulchatna herd but their numbers have been in decline and the bull to cow ratio is not good. To make things worse, the number of trophy bulls is down to very dismal figures. For these reasons, I would have to recommend the WACH (Western Arctic Caribou Herd). The cost to get out there will be a bit more but your chances of taking some nice animals will be much better.

By relying on a good, reputable air taxi, you can be dropped in a productive area with good chances of success. You have to do your homework though, there are a few bad apples that will drop you on top of other parties. The good guys know where the caribou are and will do their level best to ensure you get dropped in a good area without too much competition.

I've not hunted this area so can't recommend any air taxi services but there are many to choose from.

Good Luck, Festus
Old 08-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Silver Member

Its hard to beat this place for caribou and fishing but no wolves lots of fox. This is a out of the way place but hunting is great fishing even better. Nikolski AK.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

Lerch, I'm going with these people Jack Hume Adventures on the 21 of September. It's the last hunt and should be a good one. I'm going to see what the 200gn Wildcats do on Caribou.

I'm sure you can't shoot wolves in Quebec.

I also know nothing about snow chickens. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

lerch

Last year I went with Barry Tayloy
Arctic Safaris
you fly out of Yellowknife, NWT
867-873-3212
call and ask for a brochure.

9 hunters total
3 (sets) of father and sons
2 singles
1 well-to-do repete customer

10 caribou were killed, most everyone but the three dads had two tags.

3 Wolverines were taken (very rare)

Some shots were taken at wolves (mostly white with gray)

As for fishing I only fished one afternoon at some special place they don't like to go to!! to much gas and too far away etc. etc. Lake trout every cast!!! yes every cast almost boring LOL. If you never hooked up with three casts you were ready to switch spoons. (five of diamonds in yellow and black)

If'in you want more info let me know.

PS. maybe 3 Caribou were close to book but to the best of my knowledge none made book.

CAM
Old 08-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Silver Member

I have been Twice and loved it.Most hunt fly out of Monteral. they fly to Shefferville or another northern site I forgot what the name was. The outfitter I used will move you if you don't see caribou, he puts you on Caribou.
No you can't shoot wolves in Quebec , but get a Black bear tag you never know . I also shot Ptarmigan .
Email me and I will give the out fitters info Biggameman@comcast.net