Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Capstan winches for recovery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 12:25 AM
Silver Member

Capstan winches for recovery

Do any of you use a capstan winch like Simpson? Do you use dbl braided polyester rope or mule tape or a combo? How long is your longest pull?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:00 AM

Re: Capstan winches for recovery

• Never used capstan winch but have used warn and still use warn use steel cable and chains also carry old axle and sledge hammer in case nothing else to hook up to and snatch block
Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 AM
Platinum Member

I have a 10 ton Ramsey hydraulic winch on my gooseneck and a 30 ton on the dropdeck.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

I have and use a capstan winch. I have 600' of low strech braided rope that I use with it. Rope and winch togather wiegh about 70lbs. I regularly use all 600' of rope, then move the winch and start all over. It is amazing how much it will pull. I have pulled a bull elk up a cliff face and a truck out of the snow! I carry rope and winch on a pack frame, if I need to take it in to recover an animal.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Silver Member

Does the 600 ft of rope seem to be enough? I have been thinking of using mule tape to extend any needed distance from the end of the rope. Have you ever heard of anyone doing that?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetman2 View Post
Does the 600 ft of rope seem to be enough? I have been thinking of using mule tape to extend any needed distance from the end of the rope. Have you ever heard of anyone doing that?
600 feet is plenty, to tangle up pretty bad! I just move the winch and start over if I have further to go. I have tied the winch to an elk and kept restring the rope instead of packing the winch up a hill sevral times. I found thar plastic /polly rope doesnt work, to much slip. A low strech nylon works the best. The rope that I use I baught with the winch and it has held up for 7years so far. I dont think I would want any longer rope. The farthest I have ever draged an animal is about 900 yards up and out of a deep canyon, that one time made the cost worth it.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 AM
Sponsor

Mule tape tangles on the spool to easly you will do nothing but fight it. I started with a 600' low stretch rope also and found that in treed country it was a pain. I now have a 300', 200' & 100 foot rope. Longest pull has been almost 1000 yards up what had to be 45 degree + hill in "Send It" volume 2. Took about 3 1/2 hours but well worht the effort. I have since made a sled to use in conjunction with the winch. This allows for something to pull over the brush instead of through it. It now almost pulls itself.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659