Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Canvas wall tent?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2005, 02:03 PM

Canvas wall tent?

As this is a hunting forum, I figure a few of you have spent a night or two in a canvas wall tent. I am looking at several different wall tents and options, any input from any of you as to what you like about your tent or wish you had different might help? I am especially wondering about a rear window or second door option? Is a 14x16 big enough for 4 guys?
Old 11-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Gold Member

Re: Canvas wall tent?

I have slept in the one with a insulated area for stove pipe, we had a sheep herders stove in ours very nice if you have a few pieces of green wood for the long burn. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Silver Member

What time of year are you hunting or planning to use it. I archery hunt elk so it can be hot. When that temp hits 70 midday I want the second door to circulate air.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:41 AM
Gold Member

Best think I can say is lay out 4 cots in an area about the size of tent you want. I've got a 10x20 over 20 years old and works OK for 3 guys plus gear wish I had an extra 4 or 6 ft wide. I got my tent before they had those metal frame but I got one and sure is nice. Rear window would be OK but extra door depending on where you set up may not work and depending on weather if you don't have a cook tent etc may have to do some cooking in tent so have to consider that. Well good luck.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Gold Member

Winter,cold weather!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:49 PM

In another thread here I recomended Canvas Cabins from the Portland area. They are great. I haven't checked in the last 5 years, but I assume they are still in business. 12 x 15 will sleep 4 comfortably if you don't cook and have a table in the tent, 3 if you do. I use Roll-A-Cot. They are compact and pretty light and real comfortable. I'd have 2 doors and a window. Insulation around the stove pipe hole. Have them put mesh pockets on the walls for flashlites, etc. A rope stretched from corner to corner makes a good clothes hanger/dryer. Canvas Cabin has a very good pole setup, the best I've seen. If you are going to pack in a long ways horseback I would use pole timber though. Its not difficult to do. When we are hunting the same area year after year we cache the poles and use them again. You can buy a plastic tarp at Wall Mart that is the right size for a floor if you have room to pack it. One note, don't ever put the tent away for the year while it is damp. You'll have pieces when you get ready for next year.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Davis Tent & Awning in Denver build the finest wall tents in America and can answer all your questions. Give them a call. My experience is a 14x16 is large enough for four guys.

NRA Life Member