Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Canaries In A Mine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

Too many members degrade a hunting site. Esp one that's focussed like this. Soon we'll see extended posts about bowhunting, musky fishing, baking cookies, and kids cold medicines. I belong to only 5 other hunting forums, most are generic hunting so the posts range from really great to 'who here hunts turkeys' type of crap. I have to sort thru the kids,cold,s cookies posts to get the meat of what I want to read up on.

I think you have a great focussed site here Len, and unless its your primary source of income I wouldnt make it into a mass appeal type of thing. The site works well, they members are technicallly proficient, and the forum posts are for the most part very engaging. I guess one could not ask for more. The admin messages when we log on are a pain in the rear, but I will admit it is info we need, as informed participators, to know.

Good luck. Keep it technical and focussed. Dont try to do too much for us as members. Perhaps when you feel comfy with your fine tuning you could let it run on auto and see what items we b.tch about, and respond and fine tune to that.

Again its a great place and I am glad to be here.

NRA Life Member
Old 01-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

Len, I think the changes that have been made since I've been a member have been good, well except for the colum n on the right of the page, but if that's all I have to criticise then that's not too bad.

Thanks for your time and hard work.

Stercus Accidit.

Nice try means you suck spelled different.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:48 PM
PUBLISHER

Well, scratch my idea about adding a Kid's Medicine forum. That's the secret idea I was referring to above. Darn...

Although, could we add the Kid's Medicine forum and then make it an option to read it?

And we could all demonstrate bold thinking by posting the "Who hunts turkeys" question in the new "Turkey" forum. And not require non-turkey hunters to read that forum at all.

And when we get too many members we could vote some members off the island.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 01-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
And when we get too many members we could vote some members off the island.
As I said this is a GREAT place

Good job Len.

NRA Life Member
Old 01-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Another way to look at the number of members of this site............

If all we had was 10,000 members, and never got any more, in time there would only be about 10 members participating. It's just the nature of the beast. They come and they go but those that actively post and participate are small compared to the total members. Some never post, just read. Although that may sound bad, at least we accumulate data that is available to everyone. I for one would rather have them read the "good stuff" here than never read it anywhere at all.

Look at the members list and see where the first member with one post is. What we need to do is to encourage people to post, show pictures of their guns and hunting trips. We can't be satisfied with status quo or pretty soon we will be talking to ourselves

Unfortunately there is no filter we can apply so that only those posts we are interested in, and those that meet out interest criteria, show up. We can however, only go to the forums we choose and only read the posts that we are interested in.

I would rather get to pick and choose between 100 posts each day than to only have 2 available every day or two.

Keep up the good work Len, just don't let the 16 year old drive to often.;)
Old 01-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Bronze Member

Unfortunately I don't get to visit as much as I would like but from what I have seen you have and are doing a great job. Great site.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Bronze Member

There are no long range hunters around here. Until I found this site I was spending lots of money, and making a lot of mistakes.

I don't post much. Not to many people interested in long range hog hunting, and the people around here think I am nuts for buying $1500 scopes.

Every time I have asked a question I have had plenty of knowledgeable answers. What more could a red neck hog hunter ask for?.