Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Canada blames us...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Silver Member
Re: Canada blames us...

You make a good point. That's why it's not so easy to compare the US with NZ, Australia, Sweden, etc.
In 1985 while at Montana State, I saw an advert in the school paper wanting to trade a wood stove. I chatted with the fellow then carried my 7mm mauser across campus. The stove was a burned out junk, so I declined the transaction. Walking home, MSU security (who are full deputies) called me over to their car.
Security: Where are you from?
Me: GF (Great Falls, Montana)
Security: Well not everyone at MSU is from Montana. Would you mind wrapping your gun in a blanket or something next time you carry it across campus?
Me: Yes sir, Roger that.

I doubt you could do that today, even at MSU.
In the 6th grade I'd take my .22 rim-fire to school and hide it outside. My friends and I would go gopher hunting at recess. A few teachers new, all the 5th and 6th graders new. Today it would make CNN headlines.
Because we live with so many of low moral we have to do extra work (verify the purchaser is not a felon) to minimize felons from getting guns. This needs to be a federal law, with those selling without going thru a FFL facing a minimum 10 year sentence. Stealing a firearm should have the same penalty.

I hope to go Hog hunting in SW AR next year.