Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Can you guys tell me (clean up language) this guys is trying to say?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Can you guys tell me (clean up language) this guys is trying to say?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua99ta View Post
Thank you JE!!!

I kind of read the post on another forum and I was thinking "this guys is smoking some good stuff" I've done lots of reading and these points he brought up have never been something I have read about. I'm no accomplished long range shooter by any means.... I'm still a beginner and have been without a rifle to actually do any shooting for almost a year now.
No problem.

It is good to ask questions, and as far as learning I make it a point to try and learn something
every day and after over 50 years of shooting It happens quite often.

This is a good web site to learn things if you are interested because there are Lot's of
knowledgeable folks on it (I am not including my self because I am still learning).

Keep asking questions and someone will have a/the answer hopefully.

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-24-2010, 07:46 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
Ask Trickymissfit, almost sounds like one in the same.

Basically talking about the tourque produced by fast twist and Heavy bullets. Really not going to feel it in a .224 bore shooting 55 grain bullets. Now a 308 or338 shooting heavy bullets it is very noticable. Been a known and adressed issue for quite some time and has been adressed by action and stockmakers alike.

The lightened fire pin and heavy spring has also been a known issue for about as long as it's existed. In BR rifles a well known HOF has proven his rifles shot better with the standard bolt guts.

Not alot of enlightenment in this guys post.
A+++ and agree completley, Jim. That guy had to to have 'strained' himself! Probably took a full week of intense? thought. Unfortunately, our world is traveling further and further in his direction. Not enough 'doers', too many 'thinkers/analyzers'. So many, I'm considering changing my post signature. How's this; "Gunsmithing,,, So easy a caveman can do it!"
Old 09-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

this guys is still @ it!!!! LOL Im enjoying it... he makes some good points but some of the stuff he says is funny!

here is one... i believe the rifle in question is a 223

That's pretty much what I was saying. The excessive torque from the overly fast twist not only shocks the barrel into a twisted stress, but it also transfers this to the action. Then as the bullet passes the barrel and the reciever react in the opposite direction. Take this into fact as well as the actually movement of the entire rig (stock and all) in the bags. I see this greatly exaggerated in my 1:8 twist 6/250AI on a 13+ pound gun (105 grain AMAX bullets at a hair over 3000 fps). I'd like to try this same load out in a 1:10 twist barrel at 3100 fps
gary
McSwirly A-5
Jewel trigger