Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Buying on Ebay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Buying on Ebay

I'll second what trader338 said. I've bought from elkhunter777 also, anyone with nearly 5000 feedback and 99.9% positive must be doing something right.

Like stated above just keep your head about you on ebay.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:03 PM
Gold Member

I bought from elkhunter777 as well. Smooth transaction. After the purchase I learned that I could have gotten the same deal from Jim? at Q optics, who I first "met" on this board.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:31 PM
Bronze Member

Hm, well it looks like there's consensus on this site, "elkhunter777" is the Ebay man. And coincidence as well, because just today I've exchanged several emails with him sorting out the details of shiping to Canada, where I reside. The 3.5x10x44 Zeiss seems to meet the criteria fiftydriver mentioned on a light scope mounted on Burris double dovetail bases and Signature rings. Since my Rifle is waiting my passing the Acquisition course, I have plenty of time to look for a good price and I've noticed his are pretty good. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this consensus has occured, given that we share these common interests, but still I was a little surprised to see elkhunter777's name come up so much here. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2005, 07:15 AM

One thing I do in addition to the other advice you've received is that I frequent forums such as these, and look for the same username. You'll usually find something on a bad seller who has screwed someone over in the past. They usually stick out like a sore thumb. BTW, I've bought a few scopes off of Ebay with no problems. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:57 PM

prior comments about ebay seller feedback are accurate. My advice is basic. Don't get" auction fever" and pay too much. I have picked up two(one Zeiss Conquest) on ebay. So far, so good.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:26 AM

This is a bit long, but I hope you find it worthwhile.

I have 100 transactions on ebay and a 100% feedback rating as both a buyer and seller. I probably about half as many transactions with people I've met through ebay and except for 1 or 2 items, which I was made whole on, everything I bought was better quality than retail. And the service is exceptional, when compared to retailers. Ebayers and guys like Jon at Q Optics understand the value of word of mouth and good feedback.

I do a lot of research if I'm buying a big ticket item. Checking feedback is good, but also check what the seller has bought or sold. The same goes for Gunbroker. If he/she just bought the scope or gun, why are they selling it?? Sometimes their buying and selling history doesn't match their "story". I wish ebay would keep a better history of these transactions so I can tell if someone deals mostly in toy kazoos or if they sell the big ticket items.

Someone mentioned checking forums like these and that's a great idea, also check vise versa. I was on archeryworld.com and a user was selling Matthews bows. The story was that her husband was ill and closing the store. These were just a few of the bows left. I asked a few questions and became suspicious, then I asked for some pictures. Once I had the pictures, I did a search on ebay and found identical pictures of these items. The goof ball copied and pasted pictures from ebay and was passing them off as items he/she had for sale. I asked for a picture of another item "she" was selling and bingo a different ebay picture was sent to me. Ebay is a great research tool in many ways.

I had the seller's "address" and "she" was asking for a Western Union transfer (big red flag here). Also, "she" resides in Florida (credit card fraud capital of the world!). Next, it was off to switchboard.com to check out her name and see if I can find an address. Not everyone is on there and you won't find my name, but almost all businesses can be found there. She wasn't and that was the icing on the cake.

I don't want to make anyone paranoid. Just do some quick homework and you should be ok. I've ordered stuff on ebay without any homework and other items I've researched, but I've never been burned on there.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
checks are no good to me, ill toss one out before i take her to the bank.

[/ QUOTE ]

Y? I hate checks, but take them and don't ship until the check has cleared + 5 day penality [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] IMAO, u limit yourself too much by such a rigid policy. For folks who only take MO's, I give them two middle fingers up and take my bussiness elsewhere.