Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

building a gong, asking input.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2005, 11:49 PM
Silver Member

building a gong, asking input.

I am using scrap metal from our shop to build myself a gong for my birthday. I used 2x2 square tubing for the feet, risers and crossmember, reinforced all corners with 1x1 square tubing, and plan to use this to tie wire the plates to the stand. One of the plates I already cut into a 16" somewhat round piece since I am not very handy with a torch and didn't have a compass to get a perfect circle. the input I am asking for is on the other plate. the plate is 1/2" thick 514(?) impact steel and 16.25 x 16.25 inches square. My boss says I have to be creative with the shapes I cut out of this plate or he will charge me for the steel. I'm not worried about paying the $12 scrap steel cost, but why should I if I can get out by having fun. I am going to try to add a poll with the ideas I have so far for the plate. if anyone has other ideas, I have until Tuesday morning to decide on it. And please take into consideration I am not much of an artist with the cutting torch.

Ideas so far are:

One BIG Rabbit silloette

One BIG nasty varmit flipping the bird

one big swinging monkey, hung to look like it is holding the top of the rack.

one silloette of sasquatch (wonder where I got that idea)

one 8" tall rabbit and an 8" wide varmit, looking much like a weasel
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 05-26-2005, 11:57 PM
Bronze Member

Re: building a gong, asking input.

LOL.....Love the ----->>>>One BIG nasty varmit flipping the bird
That should bring a few smiles out at the range [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Is tie wire going to hold up? I don't know about you but I would forget extra wire and it would break at worst possible time.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

I voted other. I would suggest a sillhouette of an old style TV. The kind with little shorty legs and rabit ear antennas. But instead of the antennas you drill your holes 3 or 4 inches apart and centered and this is where you hook your wires for this one. Then spread the wires out on the top bar to look like the V shape of the antenna.

This gets you a lot of usage for the size steel you have plus who dosen't like to shoot at a TV. I mean, there seems to be one or two at almost every roadside sand pit I've ever shot at. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Bronze Member

Barney the purple dinosaur, or teletubby. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Silver Member

I don't know how well wire will hold up, but it is all I have access to until I get paid again. I am thinking about buying a roll of aircraft safety wire and keeping it in my shooting bag. this would give the wire a very thin profile, with very high tensile strength. An example of this wires strength is one of the divider curtains at work. We have a 8' section of 2" x1/8" DOM tubing holding up an 8' x 10' sheet of canvas that has safety chain sewn into the bottom of the canvas to hold it down. This curtain is held up by a single wrap of safety wire at each end of the tubing. It's been there for 3 years, and the curtain gets jostled and moved around every day to put away finished parts. very impressive stuff.
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 05-27-2005, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

Other

You have a 16 inch circle already. I suggest an arcade.
Take the 16X16 and draw up a 10 inch square in the bottom left corner and a six inch square in the top right. Then draw and cut out a circle from inside each of these two squares. This will leave you with a very odd shaped piece of metal that can be two "eared rectangles" of slightly different shapes, one of which could be a short eared rabbit about 10 inches high and six inches wide and the other could be trimmed and scap pieces welded into a buffalo head about 10 inches wide with horns and a beard.

Here would be the total arcade

1. 16" circle
2. 10" circle
3. 6" circle
4. 10 X 6" rabbit
6 6X10 Buffalo head
Old 05-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Silver Member

wow buffalobob, I never would have though of that. I am not going to decide on anything until after the poll closes though. thanks for the input.