Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Bubble level for rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2004, 01:30 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Re: Bubble level for rifle

after 400 yards or so. I wouldn't squeeze the trigger without one...

run some ballistics and see what rifle cant can do to you at distances greater than 500 yards or so... YIKES...!!

with 6 degrees of cant, your group opens up 2" at 500 yards.. now lets say on your first shot you're canted 6* left and on the second shot you're canted 6* right.. you just shot a 4" group... without other factors figured in!!!!

[ 03-01-2004: Message edited by: *WyoWhisper* ]
Old 03-01-2004, 02:26 PM
PUBLISHER

I have been using a different style of bubble level that attaches to the barrel of the scope using a QD scope ring. I like this Brownells version much more. I'll have to order a few.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 03-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

I like the adjustable scope tube type myself. Looks like that type sticks out a ways too far for me.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Silver Member

I've found this with the one example of the Brownell's type that I own. If I level the rifle with a carpenter's level across the flat of the picatinny rail, the Brownell's level is off by 1/4 bubble. Looks like the tube is misaligned with the mounting screw or something.

I think I like the mount-on-scope style so I can precisely level and square the R2 reticle.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

I was wondering about that too, simply no adjustment if it were off like that.

I've used a bunch of carpenter levels over time, and one thing you can count on is MOST of them are off, but at least you can spin them around and tell if they are. Seems like you're kind of locked in with this type on the rail. Guess you could shim it on one side.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:39 PM
*WyoWhisper*

Well... I shoot Badger Rings and there is a flat spot on the top of them.. I also shoot badger bases.. there are flat spots on them too...

I put a level on the top of the ring, on the base.. hang a plum line and double check everything.. so far my levels from brownell's have always beeen as level as everything else..

I know the one of my 300WSM and my 308 work..or the groups would have been much larger... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2004, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

i use them on all my rifles and they really do make a difference,like ric said,just a little bit of cant can really open those groups.my-2-dave