Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Browning Sako .243 pencil barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Browning Sako .243 pencil barrel

I'm posting this here as I could'nt think of a better forum, should I be in error ...then just shoot me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] OK, here goes, my brother gave me a browning sako .243 safari grade pencil barrel. For those not familiar it is a sako action, browning the rest of it. Although I have not run abinoks ladder pattern for load developement yet I would like to have the action /barrel bedded by a competent smith. This gun has been molested as the stock no longer wears the browning mirror finish and is finished in what looks to me a linspeed oil finish. All fine by me, I just want to give this rifle the opportunity to shoot as good as it can without taking it outside it's original physical specs., i.e. short, light. So the question is can anyone recommend a smith that would be good and more than that would'nt mind working on such a lowly project. As always I appreciate any and all input on the subject. As for the smiths that are on this site I am not ignoring you all or you're abilities , in fact it would be wonderful if one of you that I've come to appreciate as honest workmen because of feedback on this site would be willing to do this . I look forward to you alls response, thanks again, Jim
Old 03-16-2005, 06:56 AM
Gold Member

Re: Browning Sako .243 pencil barrel

Jim, Only thing I can say is might want to have that bore checked out before spending any money may also want to make up a round and see if the troated is gone. My Browning-Sako is 40yrs old now got it new in 1965 and it's on it's 5 barrel but the wood still looks like new. I think my first barrel when at about 3500rds and those where hard rounds back then and that rifle gave me my first 5 shot group less than 1/2" still have that group around here somewhere it was with 85gr Sierra and IMR-4350. That rifle of mine still has the orginal mounts and 3x9 leuopold (scope turned purple so leupold replaced it about 20yrs ago)and about 2 boxes of brass when I bought the rifle. When I had my first barrel replaced I got hold of Browning and I just couldn't afford to have them replace that barrel. Well good luck.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

Roper, I've been shooting the browning but it wont shoot like the first pencil bbl. .243 I bought new years ago. The first one would shoot 85 gr. shpbt over 42 grs. of imr 4350 into .343 group @100 yds.Thats measuring center to center with a dial caliper.All cold bbl. shots,you know lots of sitting little shooting.Using the same load this gun shoots at best 1" group.I really don't know of any gunsmiths in my area I would send it to.So I'm a lookin!
Old 03-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Gold Member

Jim, In my March issue of Precision Shooting was a listing for Mike Wilkerson, 2929 S. Caraway Rd. Ste. 5, Jonesboro,AR 870 268-1550 (www. IndianArms.com) he use to work for Boatright Guns. May want to also try Benchrest.com for gunsmiths. Well good luck.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Roper, thanks man , I've decided to have george at GA Precision do the work.Now I'm kinda like a kid waiting on christmas [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]Gonna change to .243 A.I., load on the heavy end(105/107) look for the little ones and then reach out and touch some varmints that have a diff zip code [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]