Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Brown is down or Let em go so they can grow?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Brown is down or Let em go so they can grow?

I passed on a 170ish class mule deer buck all season, really a perfect deer and the area is really starting to come back so I wanted to leave him for seed, it's public lands so it took everything I had to pass on him and I had to fight every genetic trait in my body to not just smoke him. He bred a lot of does but he ended up in the back of a truck, guys didn't even care what he was just blew some holes in him and threw him in the back of the truck. Kinda bummed me out but I passed on him to bred not shoot the last day and he made it till the last couple days of the season so my goal was accomplished.
I shot a heavy three point, he should have been a 4 point so I took him out but since it's public lands everyone else passes on them for the 4 or 5 points so maybe I made a small improvement so one day I can take a 200 inch buck in the area!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

I've never cared that much for the meat, so I guess I'm a "trophy hunter". A lot of variables in what that means. Many tags these days are in reality "once in a lifetime.

When/if you draw them, if it's a poor year, take the best the area has and no complaints.

Hunting style can effect "trophy status", any bear or lion showing up at a predator call is in serious trouble if I'm on the gun. Otherwise I'd rather see some kid take it (or adult that hasn't got one).
Old 12-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

Meat eater 100%.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Silver Member

if I want meat I shoot does. try to let bucks get older unless they so no potential and don't have the genes you want passed on. Not all older deer are going to score well but if they are 4.5 plus it is probally what they are going to be. could not pass this guy up with those brows and he was aged at 7 plus no teeth in his mouth and his left eye must have been damaged fighting
Old 12-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

My philosophy in general is to let the younger bucks go. I have eaten a lot of Montana "A" tags over the years which I could have easily filled numerous times during the season. Same with bull elk. If it's not a mature 6 point, I'll let him go. Culling out lesser genetics is OK is another story.

Like others have said, to each his own. I'm not trying to impose my thinking on anyone else and I don't look down on anyone for shooting any legal buck or bull. I just try to do my part to get bigger bucks and bulls in the population.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 12-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Ihunt for the mature animals. And it is much tougher now in my areas since the wolf. I dont even begin to see the bucks I use to,less bulls also.There where some very nice game taken local as usual though
Old 12-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

I snuck up on this one once and let him sleep.

He was with 20 head of does and I wanted him to pass on some of what he would grow into. The very next morning he wandered off the ranch and he was shot.

This year we took a load of elk deer and antelope. I helped many hunters fill their tags. I drew no B tags. So I passed on some bulls, and some mule deer smaller than I wanted to take, and let my wife fill the freezer. So yeah, I agree that sometimes you just need to give them a chance to grow. But if my wife had not gotten her Bull I would be eating one I shot as I am also a meat hunter.

Jeff