Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Bored in Afghanistan and lost in Bagram

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Silver Member

Bored in Afghanistan and lost in Bagram

Okay guys, I am really bored in Afghanistan during my free time. I have already tied a million flies, cleaned my weapon a billion times and read every single gun and hunting mag I can find-twice. Even been an attack dummy for the working dogs. Help me, Suggestions welcome.
Dave
Old 08-20-2011, 03:29 AM
Silver Member

Re: Bored in Afghanistan and lost in Bagram

that's constructive. Thanks. Great insight.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Silver Member

During a really crappy week of nonstop rain on a hunting trip my buddies and I started to hunt bugs. Even lined up flies on the table as decoys to lure more in. I will admitt more than just a little silly but funnier than hell and did manage to kill some time.

Last edited by ss7mm; 08-20-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback7 View Post
Okay guys, I am really bored in Afghanistan during my free time. I have already tied a million flies, cleaned my weapon a billion times and read every single gun and hunting mag I can find-twice. Even been an attack dummy for the working dogs. Help me, Suggestions welcome.
Dave
I am not sure if you workout or now but some guys are doing the workouts from "militaryathlete.com" This may make you go from bored to bored and exhausted though. My brother-in-law has deployed for there but has to spend some time in the US somewhere first.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I have already tied a million flies...
Any cool local materials that we can't get back in the US? Whenever my friends and I get ready for a trip, we always try to find some sort of exotic material that you just have to use for the super secret fly.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visigoth View Post
Any cool local materials that we can't get back in the US? Whenever my friends and I get ready for a trip, we always try to find some sort of exotic material that you just have to use for the super secret fly.
customs wont let us export anything dead or alive, or ammo or mines or any of that crazy stuff. I can understand the dead animal parts....but if they actually put mines and live animals in the customs rule book for Bagram, some PVT somewhere probably tried to do it. I can see it now.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Dave
I did almost 15 months in the combat zone in another time frame. So listen up as we both have been thru this game plane (or are going thru it).

* Never get bored!! AS IN NEVER!! When you get bored you loose the edge. Even if you gotta fill sandbags; keep your mind working at 110%.

* Learn to write a journal. It's well worth the time, and you'll enjoy it thirty years from now.

* No matter how well you keep your gear, you can make it better. Might be a life save next week.

Sad thing is that you guys are treated like high school kids over there with restriction after restriction. We did parties, and simply raised a lot of hell during slow times. Played music till dawn every night. Course we had beer! But there wasn't a female within forty klicks of my base camp! Developed the art of bar room brawling, and the first shirt loved it! But alas they took that away from us when we completely destroyed the batallion beer hall in about thirty minutes. After that my company was banned from going back to the rear to unwind.

It's time to submit a memborship in the VFW (if you need some help, email me). This will help you when you get outta that place, and kinda give you a heads up. Just remember you got the rest of your life ahead of you. My email address is always open to you
gary