Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Black gun rant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Dealing with rude buffons is one reason I (am lucky) don't shoot at public ranges. Setting up my rest and my 35 to chrono and then working on developing a load the last thing I want to worry about is "bubba" and his buddies!!

I will tell you that the one range I go to from time to time to fire form brass it is a pain just to answer questions about what I am doing!
Old 07-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

Some good points.
1 shoot far left.
2 shoot as far away to avoid vibration from sustained fire
3 avoid public ranges filled with black gun / rubber knifers
4 wear plugs and muffs to give extra protection from noise and BS

You guys missed the most important one, be friendly. One day at the local range I had a hard time getting off the 10 test rounds I came with due to non stop fire from them;) So at the end of my shooting I was talking with an elderly gentleman / range officer who is a friend of mine. (he too loves black guns) So while a few of the black gun owners were listening I told Jack we should hold a BLACK GUN SHOOT. Boy did that draw some attention. One asked what would you shoot and how is it run ( yeah he took the bait, now I got to set the hook) I tokd him I would shoot a 338 Lapua with 300 grain smk's at 2950 fps. He said well thats not fair thats not a black gun (assault rifle) I told him yeah it gets better, the rules for the shoot are we hang all the black guns from the target backers and I get to shoot each one. I guess i forgot about being friendly that day
Old 07-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

I read Ol Mikes post, boy, there is NO, and I mean NO messing around at the range that I go to. I BS you not, if someone is seen to be intoxicated the cops will be called! Anyone who shoots rapid fire is immediately removed. At first I thought the rules were a little strickt (rifles cased at all times that they are not on the bench) but honestly, I don't mind anymore. There are just too many idiots out there who simply don't have any common sense about firearms.

hey, Mike, that's a pretty good one shooting the group in the other guys target, I'd be LMAO!
Old 07-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Silver Member

Black guns

Well..I have 3 of those "black guns" - my latest a DPMS in .308. And a few more "nice" target guns. The black guns are fun to shoot. I like to wait for young guys, who obviously don't hand load and their mom always picked up after them, to leave. Some just shoot Wolf crap. But I have a 5 gallon bucket of once fired .223 brass I have not had time to go through yet. I am not to proud to bend over and pick money up off the ground.
When I go shoot my "black" guns I am trying to work up the best load. I always go to were I will not be hitting anyone with my spent brass. I did try a brass catcher...just didn't like it.

I am from the SE. I have shot all around this great country. I have seen d___heads at every range.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Gold Member

Nothing better than reading a bunch of gun owners posts about how they "dislike" other gun owners because of the style of gun they choose to shoot and the manner in wich the firearm is built to function.You should all call Jim Z and join his anti black gun club.If you dont like other firearm owners,the guns they choose to shoot or the manner in wich these guns are fired spend some of the vast amounts of "coin" you have and build your own damn range,dont go to a public range and expect everyone to cater to your likes and dislikes.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Silver Member

Nonya

I know we need to stick together on the gun issue. I do not think anyone is saying anything bad about the BLACK GUNS, Just the idiots behind the triggers. Many people use them every day adn are mindfull of the other. The title should have been People That Have NO Clue!

Maybe its different in MT but in most places the people that tend to shoot AR type rifles are younger, GI Joe wantabees, inconsiderate, and foolish. I am not saying all of them all. When they show up at the range after you and set up and start flingin brass all over the place without consideration of others, its rude. It could be any semi auto, but inlarge it GI Joe.

Like others said, many are there to shoot as much ammo, as fast as possible with no regurad of accuracy..Good for them, just be mindfull of the brass.

Now if they show up with a H&K 308 watch out. I have never seen anything eject brass that hard. :eek:
Old 07-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Gold Member

Its EXACTLY the same kind of generalization the antis use when they try to get their "assult" rifle bans pusshed through govt.